IP fuel adjustment

6.9l ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me how to turn up the fuel on my 1984 f-250 6.9l IP?:sly I work on my truck, but have never adjusted the fuel myself, I had a shop turn the pump up 25% when I install a motorcraft rebuilt 6.9l. But with the high price of fuel a year ago I had it turned back. Now I would like to turn it up but would rather do it myself. :D
thanks Jason

Yes my Banks turbo has a pyro.

Last edited:

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Install a Pyrometer and post a picture to confirm it and we will tell you......Till then I don't think anyone on here will want to be accessory to Vehicular murder by telling you how to melt the pistons.

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
Passengers side of the pump. There is a small cover with 2 bolts. 1/4 inch socket. Its down just below your linkage. Turn your motor till the timing mark is at the 1 o'clock position on the balancer. Take a small mirror and peak inside it should look hollow or blocked off. If its blocked off turn the motor around one more revolution to 1 o'clock again and check. If its open use a 5/32" allen head. I found using the whole set with the rubber handle u buy at napa for like $4 works best cause of the leverage and angle. Turn it 1/8 of a turn or one flat on the wrench and re install the cover and test drive. Its not recommended unless u have a pyrometer. I have mine slightly turned up with no pyro but I am not on the gas alot. to cause high egt's

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well.... If you have a Banks turbo you probably have a pyro... If not you are really talking a chance of burning up a piston or two. So if you have a pyro the above posting is true but.... Someone didn't tell you which way to turn the allen screw.... Did they...:sly You turn it towards the front of the truck. This action actually tightens the allen screw into the flat spring in the rotating pump head. If when making this adjustment you find you have bottomed out the screw back it off just a bit. Otherwise the piston in going to bottom out in the plunger and hydroloc the pump. Something will break internally. Then its an expensive rebuild because of all the broken parts. Just be careful making adjustments. There is a limit... You will need to purge air from the pump after this adjustment too. That may take some effort. Don't crank longer than 30 seconds or the starter will burn out. Let the starter rest for 2 minutes so it can cool down between cranking... Might have to loosen the injector lines at the injectors for the air to escape easier. After cranking if the lines are tight you can hear the air escaping but its really a small psss noise...