Introducing MOOSE BOOST!

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't posted much in the last few months... been busy buying a house and working triple-digit hour work weeks.

Is this turbo designed for the regular Moose pump? I thought I read something about a "Bull Moose" in the OP. I distinctly remember turning my Moose pump down two flats because I was blowing smoke all over the West coast. Clearly, there was way too much fuel for the little Hypermax turbo on the 7.3.

Last edited:

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Mel, pretty certain the banks I have (older, non-wastegated) is a T3. You mentioned an adapter, what's involved? The turbo is not on my truck yet, so maybe looking for a T4 mounting setup might be easier than adapting. Hopefully getting the studs and such in before long...that's been my holdup, and what's holding that up is the fact I had knee surgery in January (started having problems in August last year) and now worse off than prior to surgery. Would be interested in knowing best route to go on this. It's kind of funny, I just helped a buddy of mine install an upgraded turbo on a VW, and as I took it out of the box, I noticed two things, water cooled and ball bearing. I swear, it wasn't two weeks ago and the lights went off then, and now here you are posting one! lol

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
With all this BS..., I think the turbo install will be discussed and shown at the next Rally and there only. It's not worth all the drama to post it here. Sorry. But when a guy like Mel who has done nothing but try and help this small, passionate community with parts, brings a better mouse trap to the IDI....... and there are more posts to complain and bicker about it than to thank the guy...... or just immediately start talking cost, engine swaps...... Just BS.

Sorry Mel and the mods here. Apparently we can handle a simple new product intro well.

Heath

Yeah, we can handle it and yeah, you will document it...or else! lmao I can tell you, and everyone here, I've stayed away a little too because honestly, as a moderator, I'm torn with what to do about all this ********! Part of me wants to just start deleting every negative post, the other part knows that we SHOULD all be adults and be able to discuss things, even if we don't agree, without all the ********! The bad part is, we are NOT enjoying input from guys like you and Pat, and that aggravates me more than anything! Ron is a moderator so he has no choice but to post! :)

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once someone can prove what this setup is capable of and what is needed to really make it worth while i would love to move to a bigger turbo, and would have no problem spending the money to do it right. But much like you do with you moose pump products I think it would be good to get a list going of current mods you would probably need or want to get the full benefit of this turbo setup. Possibly even pick two turbos you feel could meet work best with your different pumps. For the junior moose customers we have a smaller turbo that doesn't create wicked boost but it comes on quick and won't blow up your truck, BB, water cooler, etc. Then for the bull moose use this guy: recommends studs, intercooler, bigger injectors, maybe valve springs, and a bull moose or equivalent. Obviously all in time.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With all this BS..., I think the turbo install will be discussed and shown at the next Rally and there only. It's not worth all the drama to post it here. Sorry. But when a guy like Mel who has done nothing but try and help this small, passionate community with parts, brings a better mouse trap to the IDI....... and there are more posts to complain and bicker about it than to thank the guy...... or just immediately start talking cost, engine swaps...... Just BS.

Heath,

I've been haunting this site since well before I owned my IDI....and to say that your contributions are valuable is a massive understatement. I encourage you to work out a way to post a write up if at all possible, maybe in a locked thread to minimize the crap; but by all means do not underestimate the factor that your experience and attention to detail provides to the community. For every ---wipe that feels the need to clutter this thread with whining and irrelevance, there are more in the background who know that spouting a bunch of ignorance adds nothing to the discussion, and having nothing to add, choose to simply read, learn, and wait. That is me. Again, and by all means, please share everything you are willing to, especially considering what you get out of it (little to nothing I presume).

mariner45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me it sounds like Mel has put a lot of thought into this turbo system. It sounds like this turbo will do very well for whoever installs one.
Picking faults, making wrong assumptions etc. are not going to help anyone at all.
I have a CTS turbo install from 1993 (about 220,000km ago) and it still works fine and have had no trouble whatsoever. Mine is non waste gated and does all I ask of it.
I adjusted the fuel on the injection pump, to deliver maximum of 12 lbs boost pressure. I watch exhaust and boost readings when towing and drive accordingly to be safe.
It really is personal preferance regarding turbocharger - cost, design, type and use etc. Let us not knock a new product that you know little about and make wrong assumptions on.

Thanks - just my 2 cents worth.

mariner

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel, pretty certain the banks I have (older, non-wastegated) is a T3. You mentioned an adapter, what's involved? The turbo is not on my truck yet, so maybe looking for a T4 mounting setup might be easier than adapting. Hopefully getting the studs and such in before long...that's been my holdup, and what's holding that up is the fact I had knee surgery in January (started having problems in August last year) and now worse off than prior to surgery. Would be interested in knowing best route to go on this. It's kind of funny, I just helped a buddy of mine install an upgraded turbo on a VW, and as I took it out of the box, I noticed two things, water cooled and ball bearing. I swear, it wasn't two weeks ago and the lights went off then, and now here you are posting one! lol

Your mount should be a t4 size, if not its a weird one.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have stayed clear of most of the blather in this post. But now its time for some simple thoughts. A bushing bearing turbo has plenty of support but plenty of drag. I realize once its up and spinning the shaft rides up on an oil wedge and not touching the bushing bearing surfaces. This is the same bushing babbit bearings run in every steam turbine seeing 3500 lbs of steram pressure driving it. Those rotors weigh as much as 100 tons and some are more than that and about 300 ft long. Now figure bearing alignment and running tollarences spinning 3600 rpm.. Yeah.. Its all that. Now out small short turbine wheels are spinning as much as 120,000 rpm... Yeah.. Thats 2000 rpm PER SECOND... Resistance to spinning rotation is where the ball bearing turbos excells. No resistance to rolling. Water cooled so no more cool down to less than 300 degrees. Quicker rpm which makes for qiucker boost. A worthy product for the lucky or the guy that just wants what nobody else has at high school. Some of you have posted the amounts you paid for your prise. Well in 96 I paid $14250.00 with 34,000 miles on it. New factory paint and a nice overall look. New tires. It was a cherry for sure. Twice I rebuilt the engine in it now. About $5300.00 the firt time and around $2300.00 the second. I lost a badly installed brass freeze plug pulling a grade and melted it down. During the rebuilt I installed a $5400.00 BTS E4OD trans. Then about three months later I installed a new Gear Vendors overdrive for $3200.00 shipping to me. Funny thing was I live about 80 miles from the gv store and it was cheaper to ship and pay a lower sales tax than drive there to pick it up... Even odder I was doen there about 1 week befor that picking upp a new radiater for my 1937 Cord at the airport. It was on the same road as gv too.. So is there a reason for all this cost in my rig.. Yes. I transport very expensive Arabians and half Arabians all over this country and some of Canada. Its not uncommon to have more than $300,000.00 in the trailer in value. I have to get there safely and quickly. I have to be able to fix it on the road too. Can't do that with the electronic diesels these days easily. I like what I drive too. Am I looking at this new turbo.. sure am. Just not ready to pull the trigger just yet. I have two complete working Banks wastegaed sindwinder turbos here. Many know I'm a parts ***** so spare parts are whats making me feel warm and fuzzy at nite...

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This should help ya
T3--
You must be registered for see images attach

T4--
You must be registered for see images attach

Fixed it.

Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel - Thanks for putting any amount of R&D work into these old motors. I'm thankful that you are doing what you do. I plan to purchase a couple moose pumps off you one day.

Thanks again for keeping IDI performance in development. ;Sweet;Sweet