Introducing MOOSE BOOST!

DesertBen44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
where the hell are you getting a cummins swapped in for under 2500? I parted out a 93 dodge to get my ve pumped motor for $400 and I bet it will cost me more then 2500 to get it in there, especially if you count your manhours as billable labor (which when you have the option of working unlimited overtime you should)

Not trying to be a pain in the ass, just want to get an order in for the guy to do my swap for me LOL

Also just to jump on the pile, ball bearing turbos are incredible and Garrett is just about the most respected name in turbos as well as a respected name in turbine engines (loudest SOBS I have ever worked on but they sure move a conquest around nice). Conestoga obviously did there research and this is a great turbo to pair to our motors.

Last edited:

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I have a truck I bought just for the engine. I only gave $400 for it, but fell in love with it on the drive home. My Bronco is on the back burner for now. The truck is NA and I'm going to eventually put a turbo on it. I'm interested in prices of full kits, especially from Mel. I don't care how many times the purchase price a good quality turbo kit is. The fact is that's why I buy old junkers- so I can pay for them, work on them, and yes even throw stupid money at them. I don't have a lot of extra money to throw around so that's why I try to do a lot of "window shopping" before I buy anything. So please keep doing the research for all of us who are interested. Most of us appreciate it.

funnyman06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense Devon, [FONT=arial, sans-serif]in life you are given the options of fast, cheap, reliable. pick two....

Mel, I think it looks like the right direction. I've spent hours looking at Garrett maps for these trucks. Really a fan of the GT35R range. I think this is the direction our turbo kits should take. Any thoughts though on the effect of making the turbo the highest point in the coolant system? Might have to throw in reservoir in or something to bleed the air?
[/FONT]

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow!

What a nice thread this has turned into. I'm not interested in making X amount of HP or expecting a huge improvement in how my 6.9 tows my fifth wheel. It tows it just fine now. In fact it gets better and better as the engine starts to finally break in.

Why buy this turbo then? Simple.
1: I have a Banks that needs a rebuild. Parts are $$$ and hard to find.
2: It can't provide enough air to burn the fuel I have.

This turbo will solve both problems.

With all this BS..., I think the turbo install will be discussed and shown at the next Rally and there only. It's not worth all the drama to post it here. Sorry. But when a guy like Mel who has done nothing but try and help this small, passionate community with parts, brings a better mouse trap to the IDI....... and there are more posts to complain and bicker about it than to thank the guy...... or just immediately start talking cost, engine swaps...... Just BS.

Sorry Mel and the mods here. Apparently we can handle a simple new product intro well.

Heath

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Wow!

What a nice thread this has turned into. I'm not interested in making X amount of HP or expecting a huge improvement in how my 6.9 tows my fifth wheel. It tows it just fine now. In fact it gets better and better as the engine starts to finally break in.

Why buy this turbo then? Simple.
1: I have a Banks that needs a rebuild. Parts are $$$ and hard to find.
2: It can't provide enough air to burn the fuel I have.

This turbo will solve both problems.

With all this BS..., I think the turbo install will be discussed and shown at the next Rally and there only. It's not worth all the drama to post it here. Sorry. But when a guy like Mel who has done nothing but try and help this small, passionate community with parts, brings a better mouse trap to the IDI....... and there are more posts to complain and bicker about it than to thank the guy...... or just immediately start talking cost, engine swaps...... Just BS.

Sorry Mel and the mods here. Apparently we can handle a simple new product intro well.

Heath

I'm not complaining. My question still hasn't been answered. My only concern is if it's too powerful for my 6.9. If it is, then I look elsewhere for turbo upgrades. Simple as that.

I want slightly better then stock, not a speed demon that has me rebuilding my engine every 5 months....

When I see trucks on Craig's list with wild upgrades, bully programmers, etc etc my first thought is to offer them 10's of thousands less if not $5 only for it.....

Wild upgrades like that send a message it's most likely rode extremely hard, barely put away wet and then rode hard again... Basically along the lines of watching someone racing down the 15 here in a F250 pulling a 5th wheel trailer at 85+ mph (true story)

If they are that reckless with a trailer, god only knows what mods they slapped on to go that insanely fast (late model 7.3 or 6.0, too fast to spot the door emblem)

More power to others if they want that. Just don't expect me to be all excited when I calculate replacement costs for a drive train knowing it's had the hell beaten out of it, and factor that into a purchase...

I know this sounds like a rant now. Maybe it is? :confused:

I have a family member who blatantly exceeds limits (and then some) of vehicles. With the exception of one, I've racked up over 6+ vehicles that have been stolen from me "for the good of the family" that stops with my 85 I own now....

You name it, he runs it into the ground mechanically. This is probably why I am so hard nosed (and cautious) of decisions I make involving going past stock configurations of vehicles...

Good luck everyone on this project. I still want to know it's specifics... May never know at this point as I know I'll never make the rally due to distance...

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Heath, I'd encourage you to document your build as you have done in past. Your attention to detail will provide good real data.
Yes this is a new turbo to the market and I know that Mel has done his homework on this selection and isn't something that was just pulled off the shelf.
I've got an idea for that setup as well and will get with you on it and see if its something you'd like to try.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guys I know something like this creates more questions than answers. I apologize for that. I would have loved to hold off until the day came when I could give a complete turn key report on this whole thing, but research moves slowly. Heck, I had to wait at the rally for the weather to clear, and I had people asking me every day "when are we going to get to see it?" 4 days was longer than most could stand! LOL

On the water cooling thing, the center section has to maintain a 20 degree angle of inclination between water inlet and water outlet. The hose going to it should be lower, and the hose going away from it should be higher. The hose coming to it, will come from the passenger side head. You can see the red hose in some of the pictures. The hose coming from it, will go along the top of the firewall over to the heater core. Yes, it will have to go back down there, but the whole idea behind the thermic siphoning effect, is that the source of the heat can draw (relatively) cooler water from down below, and the heat will rise up through it. It's not like the water needs to circulate in a crazy fashion. It's just going to move a few inches to carry the heat out of the center section.

Also, I'd like to know, because I want to stock these things. Assuming this turbo is everything you ever hoped it could be, HOW MANY OF YOU would actually place an order for one? This is not one of those group buy questions either, where you say "yes I want it" and then don't actually pay for it... This is a real question. I need to know who actually has the money and will spend it.

racin460

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel when is it ready to ship you have a reasonable down payment from me. And it's not on my parents credit card like some here think. Ill call you on Monday to discuss the details on this matter. Dose anyone out there need a 93 factory turbo rebuilt from conastoga diesel? Mel rebuilt it for me and never installed on truck yet. It cost around $600.00 to rebuild and ill settle for the loss @ $500.00

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Wow....a fun thread to read.....the attacks on Mel, the Garrett v Holset fighting, and even Cummins vs IDI.

Here's wishing Heath and Mel the best of luck with this turbo. It sounds like it should light up fast ;Really

Also...Devon....it's really hard to read through your large run-on paragraphs....please make your arguments coherent if you want anybody to read them. Punctuation, grammar, and spelling go a long way in establishing credibility.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Heath, I'd encourage you to document your build as you have done in past. Your attention to detail will provide good real data.
Yes this is a new turbo to the market and I know that Mel has done his homework on this selection and isn't something that was just pulled off the shelf.

X 2. :D

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel, I'm going to need a kit, do you have any idea what a ROM for the kit might be? I'm buying a new kit from somebody this winter (maybe sooner) I'd like it to be from you coupled with a pump and injectors if its even remotely competitive (I hate to use that word because I know it's apples and oranges here but a better word escapes me) with any of the other two new kits available.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
You know, i've stayed away posting from this site for numerous reasons. mainly the petty arguments that occur now.

the plain and simple fact is mel has created a product for the IDI international community to complement his injection pumps. The banks, ats, hypermax kits will never support the amount of fuel a moose pump will output. This turbo isn't meant for someone who bought a beater truck that barely runs and wants to toss a turbo on it. There's plenty of junkyard turbos out there for that. This is for the select group that have a moose fuel system that want the most out of their motor.

spin a ball bearing turbo compared to any journal bearing turbo. i'll be standing by with a mop and bucket.

those who wish to add something NEGATIVE to this post should reconsider. These trucks have more meaning to some people and money is no object. it means only the best. sorry you have a 500 dollar beater and you can put a take off holset on. congrats. but for some, used parts aren't going to make it on their trucks. take me for example. there was a time and a place where i myself would have considered one of these turbos for big orange. I'm still considering it but its not nearly as high a priority as moose power for the suburban is first.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726