intermittent water in fuel lite

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Coming on randomly. Drained fiter several times. Never any water. Sometime the engine will shut down or loose power.

Any thoughts?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the wiring harness for the filter sensors and icp.years of diesel being spilled during filter changes eats and softens the insulation on the wires.this can cause what youre experiencing.

The low power, shutting down can also be caused by the cps.if you should be keeping a spare cps and wrench in the glove box as this is the most common problem with the psd.

Also check the fuel heater element under the fuel filter.the element comes loose and shorts out causing the motor to intermittently shut down or blow a fuse killing the truck

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ICP is injection control pressure sensor, cps is your cam position sensor. When your cam position sensor goes bad, it will shut the truck down, I guess in theroy you could have a deterioating one causing a lack of power concern, but the likelyhood of that is not very high. 99.9 time out of a 100, your truck will shut down on you randomly. Make sure you invest in a nice long pry bar or screw driver and a 6 point wrench, I say again, a 6 point wrench. The 12 point wrenches tend to round off that bolt.

I believe there is a TSB on the water light coming on when there is no water, and it has been a while, but you replace the element at the bottom of the filter housing. I dont think it is expensive. See your local ford dealer.

The fuel heater element causing the truck to shut down is again, highly unlikely, I personally have not ever had that issue with a customers truck before, I would look into replacing your cam sensor, and doing that heater/sensor element in your fuel bowl.

I think you have 2 seperate and unrelated problems going on here.

You may also look into replace the cam sensor with a better one, I beleive the blue sensor from interntional had less isssues then the ford one, you may want to search the forums on that one, but I know there was a rumor flying around about a more robust cam sensor to install in the trucks.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
p.s. bad ICP sensor wiring could cause your truck to shut down, as it needs a certain pressure reading from the sensor to light off the injectors, so when the sensor is unhooked it would see 0, its is a possibility, dont discount the insepection of the in valley wiring, take a good look, find and fix any issues you may have there, but my main guess is that if you do find problems, it probably isnt causing your concerns.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
tried two different CPS - one aftermarket and one OEM - no change.

Soon as the engine gets hot - up to operating temp, its shuts down.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pop the fuel filter out or drain some fuel from the water drain and see what the fuel looks like.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What temperature exactly does it shut down? I am running a blank as to what changes with cold vs hot. Does it just run fine and shut down once it reaches a certain temp or does it get progressively worse until it finally dies?

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
What temperature exactly does it shut down? I am running a blank as to what changes with cold vs hot. Does it just run fine and shut down once it reaches a certain temp or does it get progressively worse until it finally dies?

Runs fine till normal operating temp, then shuts off like you turned the key off.

Not getting the water lite much any more.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You could have bad injector orings or ipr orings.your fuel is clean so only other way to tell is pull the valve covers, fire it up and watch around the base of the injectors for oil bubbling up around them.or just replace them.

Pull the ipr and see what the orings look like.be better off replacing them anyways, not really supposed to remove it and put it back in with the old orings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online