Intermittent power loss

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were going to have to order the brass 90's , then the guy told me to wait and he ran into the back of the store, came out with the silver ones and said they would work great .. This was from a store that specializes in this stuff so I handed him cash and hurried home without second guessing it.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to be fixed! I took it for a spin today .. it was definitely starved of fuel. It's peppier than it ever has been. I couldn't check the fuel pressure because my gauge broke. I'll have to get a new one and check it .. Or better yet, I'll mount one on the truck.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on how my supply line is ran?
I have the fuel gauges figured out, I just have to make a bracket to mount it to the old selector location and I need to buy more wire. I'm also going to sheath the fuel lines with something, haven't decided on that yet.

Thanks for the help guys! !!!!

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apparently I have air intrusion somewhere, I'm guessing it's from the 90's. It didn't want to start this morning. I checked the schrader and it had nothing. After a lot of cranking it fired right up.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to do the power loss thing after idling for awhile. I let it warm up awhile, idled down my driveway, push the go pedal in as I pull out and it loses power. I limped to the side of the road, revved it through it's issue, and just put 60 trouble free miles on it. Great power, no issues. I thought about it awhile and every time it acted up I had been idling for awhile.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought the air intrusion was on the return side, but maybe it's on the suction side :dunno. It really seems like air intrusion or fuel starvation. It's really frustrating that what I just did didn't fix it.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took a bit of cranking again this morning, but once it had fuel it fired right up. I didn't have any power loss this time, but it did smoke for about 3/4 mile. It cleared up after that and hasn't smoked since. I'm running wmo and I have 1,500 lbs worth of oil in the bed that I picked up the other day. That probably had something to do with it.

I'm currently trying to find a good fuel pressure gauge locally. I will be mounting it in the cab.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It took a bit of cranking again this morning, but once it had fuel it fired right up. I didn't have any power loss this time, but it did smoke for about 3/4 mile. It cleared up after that and hasn't smoked since. I'm running wmo and I have 1,500 lbs worth of oil in the bed that I picked up the other day. That probably had something to do with it.

I'm currently trying to find a good fuel pressure gauge locally. I will be mounting it in the cab.

Did you figure out the issues you had after doing the manual selector switches? Can you give an update on how things have held up? Any issues since? Anything you would have done differently? Thanks!

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After a year has gone by, he surely aught to have it fixed by now.

Exactly why I am asking. I am preparing to do the work and I want to know how he worked out the bugs he had after doing the work and if any others popped up since he's been rolling with it for a year.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry it took me so long to reply.

I redid the connections on the valves and after driving it enough to work the air out of the system everything cleared up and I haven't had a single fuel issue since. I love the manual valves. I can't say that I would have done anything differently, I am very pleased with how it turned out. The truck has developed more issues since then but they are not fuel related. It runs wonderfully, it just sounds like the transmission is going out. :)

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to do the power loss thing after idling for awhile. I let it warm up awhile, idled down my driveway, push the go pedal in as I pull out and it loses power. I limped to the side of the road, revved it through it's issue, and just put 60 trouble free miles on it. Great power, no issues. I thought about it awhile and every time it acted up I had been idling for awhile.

No Problem!!! I didn't know if you even still used the site so it's okay, man. No worries. Anyway, I was wondering about this issue you mentioned above. Was it just air in the lines or loose connections at the switches???

I ordered McMaster-Carr ball valves (great price, metal ball) and the Gates Green Barricade injection hose is on the way. I have to pick up the elbows and wait for the hose to be delivered so I haven't started the project yet.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry it took me so long to reply.

I redid the connections on the valves and after driving it enough to work the air out of the system everything cleared up and I haven't had a single fuel issue since. I love the manual valves. I can't say that I would have done anything differently, I am very pleased with how it turned out. The truck has developed more issues since then but they are not fuel related. It runs wonderfully, it just sounds like the transmission is going out. :)

I am really glad everything worked out. It has been tough tracking this stuff down with limited time, Winter weather, and a budget...:D I thought since you had the valves in for a year or so that any little issues would have already surfaced and you wold have fixed them, but if you haven't then that's great! I was just trying to head off any future issues but it sounds like a pretty flawless solution. Great Work!!!;Sweet