interior spray paint?

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
ok here it is, i HATE my blue interior:puke: i was wonderin if any of guys have tryed any of the interior paint that on the market:dunno i realy would like to paint mine dark gray, but i'm alil worryed about how i will hold up:dunno i just can't handle all the blue! i love the dark blue on the body, but the dark blue interior is to dark! i'm goin to tint the windows and it going to be like a cave with all the dark color's:bail anyway'scookoo thanks for any help you can give;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Many years ago I did a serious custom job on a 67 el camino and I rigged the interior from the front seats, console , steering column and dash of a 72 chevelle into the thing and used black and white spray on the vinyl .It looked great, but after a few years it started to flake off. Granted, this was first generation product, I'm sure there have been improvements made since then,but I wouldn't count on them being too much better.

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
yeah i'm lookin for some dark gray heated leather buckets for it and i have a dark gray center console(out of BIG RED)for it. and it already has the black rubber floor. I can get the head liner fabric here in town. Oh and i have a dark gray vinyl rear seat to and dark gray seat belts(out of BIG RED). I guess i'll just have to see how it dose.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
I used the stuff from Dupli Color with good results. Clean your parts really good and use an adhesion promoter. I used some stuff from Wally mart called Bull Dog adhesion promoter. Follow the instructions on the can and have fun.:D

StangFast42

Reaction score
ok here it is, i HATE my blue interior:puke: i was wonderin if any of guys have tryed any of the interior paint that on the market:dunno i realy would like to paint mine dark gray, but i'm alil worryed about how i will hold up:dunno i just can't handle all the blue! i love the dark blue on the body, but the dark blue interior is to dark! i'm goin to tint the windows and it going to be like a cave with all the dark color's:bail anyway'scookoo thanks for any help you can give;Sweet

Think I can help you out with an upholstery question. I use SEM Classic Coat dye. Holds up great to abuse (like on the top of door panels, dashes, and arm rests), lasts a long time, and you can spray just about anything in your truck. They have a pretty good selection of factory colors (help make it look like it came that way off the line). If you want a more custom look, my local paint shop mixes up custom color aerosol cans (not too much more $$ then the dye, and I'm sure a shop near you offers similar services), which work well and looks great, just not as durable as the dye.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dave the biggest help would be PREP. WORK. get the parts clean with a good degrease and make sure its clean, clean, clean, and then find out what chemical adhesion promoter use for the best bond.. make a phone call to the paint/pigment manufacturer ask them they love to help their customers. I've seen some very good jobs done that look factory and I' seen jobs that are to thick, take your time practice on some old parts that are weathered as much as yours and make sure there clean... Oh and did I mention ti has to be clean??? (cuz it does)
And post some pictures

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
Think I can help you out with an upholstery question. I use SEM Classic Coat dye. Holds up great to abuse (like on the top of door panels, dashes, and arm rests), lasts a long time, and you can spray just about anything in your truck. They have a pretty good selection of factory colors (help make it look like it came that way off the line). If you want a more custom look, my local paint shop mixes up custom color aerosol cans (not too much more $$ then the dye, and I'm sure a shop near you offers similar services), which work well and looks great, just not as durable as the dye.

do you have a web site this classic coat dye or can i get it at the parts store:dunno

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
Dave the biggest help would be PREP. WORK. get the parts clean with a good degrease and make sure its clean, clean, clean, and then find out what chemical adhesion promoter use for the best bond.. make a phone call to the paint/pigment manufacturer ask them they love to help their customers. I've seen some very good jobs done that look factory and I' seen jobs that are to thick, take your time practice on some old parts that are weathered as much as yours and make sure there clean... Oh and did I mention ti has to be clean??? (cuz it does)
And post some pictures

thanks for the info and clean is my game:sly and you bet i'll do pic's ;Sweet

StangFast42

Reaction score
If you search the web for SEM Classic Coat you can probably find a place with the best price, generally between $12-$15 a can, and a Color chart. I personally go through Keyston Brothers, however you need a business account with them. Like what others have mentioned, cleanliness is the name of the game. However on slick plastic surfaces, your going to want to scuff up the area before spraying. Also if you decide to use the SEM product, DO NOT use adhesion promoter!!! it will cause more headache then adhesion. The other key is LIGHT even coats (may take a few, however patience is a virtue, and it will pay to take your time). Good luck, and if you run into any problems just holla at me.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would mineral spirits work for the pre work

That I don't know.
I have a can of Kleanz Eazy from NAPA that was supposed to work as the cleaning agent, (22years old probably should toss it) on a car I used to have, but never did the color change..
Contact a paint shop, an interior shop or call the 1 800 number on the can, they will be more then happy to answer any questions. good luck!!

sassyrel

Reaction score
vinyl--yes. cloth, no----------been there, done that--it wont penetrate and bond to the cloth , for long term. dont ask me why=------------cookoo

BIG DAVE

OILBURNER FOR LIFE!
Reaction score
vinyl--yes. cloth, no----------been there, done that--it wont penetrate and bond to the cloth , for long term. dont ask me why=------------cookoo

i'm only painting the metel and plastic parts;Sweet i have everything eles in gray already

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online