Interest in a west coast IDI event?

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All

I’d like to know if there’s interest in CA based IDI Rally/Get Together. Scotty Beretz and I have been throwing this idea around since we met in Baghdad last July. Right now we’re just trying to see if there’s enough interest to even bother putting something together. We’re looking to do something later this summer (August or later).

Here are some questions I need answered to help get this moving along:
Who’s interested?
What type of event is better for you: a one-day get together or an overnight campout?
What are the dates you could attend (if possible, please give more than one date).
Suggestions for location. I’m thinking southern or central CA.

Here are a few issues where up against:
Dates: Choosing a date that can accommodate all is probably impossible. We will choose a date that maximizes participation. Scotty and I are both in the military so our schedules are subject to last minute changes.
Location: Most State parks and campgrounds are booked through the end of the summer. I thought Tahoe would have been nice – forget it! Please let me know if you own, or know someone who owns, a piece of property suitable for a get together and want to offer it up.
Who’s going to Host: If we decide on a southern location, Scotty and I will probably take the lead. It we decide on a northern location, someone else will have to pony up.

With so many of us living on the west coast, I don’t see why the East coasters should have all the fun. I set up the 2003 Pac. NW rally – it was both successful and a lot of fun ;Sweet .

Let me know, Brian

I'll start a thread in the rally section as soon as I establish interest in this event.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm interested...and, if it's in California, I should actually be able to make it this time! ;)

If at all possible, I'd prefer that we plan this for a weekend before August 21st. School starts up for me on the 24th and my weekends after that will likely be shot. Otherwise, I think I'm okay with any weekend in July or August, although it's a little early for me to know for certain.

I'm okay with anything in the Bay Area, central, or southern CA. My dad only lives about 2 hours west of Barstow, so I can easily find an excuse to head down there (in fact, I know already that I'm going down there at least once this summer, although I'm not sure when yet). ;) I would lean towards a single-day get-together.

I actually just had an idea on a location, although it's sort of out in the middle of nowhere. ;) There's an old Firestone tire test track in the desert off of the 14 freeway between Lancaster and Mojave. It's flat ground, and there's a paved straightaway long enough that model-airplane enthusiasts use it as a runway from time to time. To my knowledge, it's uncontrolled, so we don't have to worry about reservations or legal issues or anything on those lines. There's a short bit of off-road driving needed to get to it, but a 2WD truck can handle it without an issue; I've done it in my old van (not sure about a dualie, though).

Just an idea, in case no one else can think of something...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian,
firstly, thanks for "jumping on the grenade" :D
I'm open for timeslots, but my work situation might get in the way depending on what I land on jobwise.
As far as dates, my vote will be for a 1.5 day event. Either a gathering for the evening, dinner and a stay overnite with a main event the next day. For me, I will be overnighting at most locations due to the fact I have a low desire to do a quick turnaround in one day. Besides, this will give the long distance guys a breather before they hit the road again.
It also sounds like you and scotty are the most willing coordinators for this year, so if you guys decide to have it so-cal, make it happen! ;Sweet

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
Im in and will help you two all i can...i live in ventura county, north of scotty and west of you mojave, let me know what i can do! :hail

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys

Not getting a lot of reaction over here. There's a little more interest over on TDS. Don't worry, I'll continue to update over here... We're still trying to nail down a location. I need to know if Big Bear present a problem for any of you. There are still camp spaces available (Aug-Sep time frame) and lots of motels in the area - Calvin don't camp. Let me know if this works for you so I can go scout locations this weekend. I'll present possible dates by week's end.

Brian

Nick, I grew up in Simi Valley. Where exactly are you?

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
Mojave Red said:
Nick, I grew up in Simi Valley. Where exactly are you?

exactly? in the bathroom on the laptop... :rotflmao

Right across the street from moorpark college, :D

big bear works but i move to colorado mid august! ;Sweet

Warwagon

Reaction score
Brian,
The family and I will be driving the rattler crosscountry to CA for a wedding on the 25th of June. I's near Willits. We won't be staying long, but maybe I can get a chance to meet up with a couple of you guys out thatta way as we go toward Yosemite, Death Valley, Grand Canyon, Lake Powell and MOAB! I've always wanted to try slickrock, though I don't know how brave I'll be with a 9000#, pretty tall rig. Oh well I'm NOT going to attempt any of the hard core trails with my beast, there are some really nice #1, #2 and #3 class trails too, so we'll see. Don't want any carnage when home is at the other end of the nation in PA.
Mark

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brian, Big Bear would work for me...although, again, I would probably just come down for a single day (no camping gear and my body doesn't handle sleeping on hard ground very well). You don't want to drag IDI's on the Firestone "runway"? ;)

Mark, Willits to Yosemite to Death Valley? Sounds like you're touring most of the state! :cool

If you go anywhere near the Bay Area, even "just passing by" on the I-5 or the 99, let me know...if you're interested, maybe we can meet up somewhere...

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn, I was just down in that direction this weekend, picking up some eBay crap that I couldn't resist buying- gorgeous area!

Mark

Mojave Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nick: you a funny guy.

Mark, My wife and I will be visiting Thailand from 15 June through 8 July, so it looks like I'll miss you. Your welcome to stop by if you're passing through my area prior to or after my trip. I'm located where the 58, I-15 and I-40 intersect in Barstow. That invitation is open to all BOOBs. TowCat stopped by for a nice visit a couple of Sundays ago.

Ref the get together: I've been talking to Scotty Beretz off line and we're leaning heavily toward Big Bear. It's a real nice location with something for all. It's also close enough for both of us to get up there a head of time to conduct a little pre-coordination.

more to follow, brian

girl mark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks. I actually just sold the processor (it's going to Nigeria of all places) that's on the 'trailer' in my VBgarage photo, and I am taking a big long break from doing biodiesel 'classes', but I'd consider coming to a truck rally assuming it's semi-family-friendly, and I'd build my next processor by then. It's too bad for me it's not closer to my neck of the woods, though - that was a longass drive!

Mark