Intercooler Kit?

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I read on here that alot of people are running CX racing intercoolers.. I just looked at em and they seem to be rather cheap.. which kit are you guys running? And any advice on installation etc.?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Contact Mel Agne who's signon name here is agnem. He also owns conestoga diesel Injection Service of Pa. He has this intercooler on his Moose Truck and likes it. Otherwise he would not indorse it.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay, whew that was a good bit of reading!! here are my questions after reading that article..

has anyone used the first gen banks turbo with one?

so about 1000 was deemed correct? did portuga's 560 work out well?

could I narrow down to 2 inch pipe to make a smaller volume to pressurize? (would this [partially] solve lag problems?)

so the cxracing 31 inch met with favorable results.. aren't our radiators 31 inches? I didn't really see any pictures on how where the lines passed the radiator (some picture links were bad though)

with this turbo setup would I be better off with water/**** injection instead? i would prefer both though..

could you mount an IC above the engine and put a ram scoop in the hood, thus making room for the IC and not having as much piping? or would there be too much residual heat in the engine compartment?

CDR immediately after the turbo didn't produce any negative long-term effects?

thanks for the help guys; I'm just trying to make sure my proverbial ducks are in a row before I dedicate money to this!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
or perhaps to keep the non wastegated turbo as crisp as she can be,rather than going with a full intercooler,could you simply run your pipes into the cowl and install (just for an example) 2-3 of these (or a long one if they make them) in the cowl? is there enough room to do such a thing?
http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?products_id=224

anyway,something i thought about back along but never investigated.sure it wouldn't be as good as full cooler,but if you smack the throttle with a non gated banks and it just falls blank for 2-3 seconds then shoots off with a full cooler.....that wouldn't make for fun rural stop and go driving/towing truck,know what i mean?

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm... have you used those before? they look slightly sketchy/shady to me.. in theory they should work, but I wouldn't think they would draw enough heat to notice.. theres very little internal surface area. I guess lag is always a real problem with this sort of thing, but I don't really see much of a way to avoid it completely

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
no,nor have i even researched them at all to see if anyone claims they even work or not.a very rough 5 min thought i had back a couple years.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=130382&start=15 here's a guy who actually messed with em. supposedly it makes a 28* difference using a heat gun on it.. but that has practically no flow so it has time to absorb and dissipate.. I don't know; If I was going to design something like this it would have fins on the inside so the air you want to cool would actually have a chance to cool..

so how no one put an aftercooler on one of these turbo kits? is this not really an option?

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those dont work very good at all for airflow. Liquids sure, but not so much on air. If it had fins jutting inside the pipes or something it would work much better. Look at intercoolers, there are fins and tubes on the inside not just a big smooth hollow cavity.

That thing would work better as a pre-cooler for the radiator lol. I once thought long and hard about getting them and thats about what I came up with. :D. I have some crazy ideas that could improve their performance but doubt its worth the effort

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah it would work fantastic for the radiator! If I had any overheating problems I would definitely get a few of em, but my old girl runs nice and cold lol

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do have a CX Racing intercooler (the one they sell for the 5.0L Mustang) on the Moose truck, and it works great. Drops the EGT's about 300 degrees, same as the Hypermax intercooler on the Lady Moose. However, as was noted there is a quality difference. The Hypermax intercooler is a heavy duty, well constructed unit. I'm sure it would last for decades. The one from CX Racing weighs about half of what the other one does. That tells me the aluminum is half as thick. they Hypermax unit is going to take a stone hit and probably be OK. The CX Racing one, maybe not so much. It's fine for the occasional use that the Moose Truck gets, but if I were running it as a daily driver, I'd be concerned I may not get too many years out of it. Charge air coolers do tend to get pinhole leaks in them, and they should be removed and pressure tested periodically, or whenever you suspect a boost leak.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I used a 6.0 cooler and 3" tubing with a very "laggy" ats non waste gated kit. I FEEl no power lag, even though the boost gauge shows some lag. there was a big increase in power even when there appears to be no boost.

I wouldnt worry about lag, or too big of an intercooler.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh alright thanks! I really don't wanna shell out the money for the hypermax kit, so I guess I might try to find a p-stroke IC somewhere if the CX is of questionable quality..

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh alright thanks! I really don't wanna shell out the money for the hypermax kit, so I guess I might try to find a p-stroke IC somewhere if the CX is of questionable quality..

i don't know of anyone who's had any trouble with them.i'll be going with another for my f450 without worry.
attachment.php

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin