Intercooler Dimensions

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have done some measuring (with everything still together..) and I THINK this is the biggest size for an intercooler that I can fit in my '88. Does anyone know for sure? Is this too big? Could I actually get more cooling area? I want the best I can do, but don't wanna drop a fortune on something that won't work. LOL

Here's what I came up with:

31 inches wide
12 inches tall
3 inches deep

Here is one I found online.. seems a little cheap for my tastes, but it seems cxracing has a good reputation? http://www.cxracing.com/mm5/merchan...=CXR&Product_Code=IC0022&Category_Code=IC30CO

So the CXracing is 131 + 35shipping, there are several Mishimoto's on ebay for 248 with free shipping.. $82 difference between the 2 with economy shipping.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Exact intercooler I have on my truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long have you had it? What boost pressure are you running? Any issues?

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a banks sidewinder system. My waste gate is set at 10 psi apparently. I did have to move the waste gate line to the cold side of the system.

You don't notice much difference running around town unloaded, but I went and got a 3000 pound load of gravel yesterday and saw no exhaust temps higher than 900 degrees. That was going uphill in overdrive too.

It dropped the boost pressure on my gauge about 3 psi when the waste gate was still on the hot side. Moved it over and it has come right back up.

Cruising at highway speed, I dropped about 1.5 psi on the gauge.

All that said, it runs WAY better even with the gauge running lower. Colder air just works better. It really clleaned up the smoke unless I have it layer out on the floor at lower rpm.

I have 2.25 inch piping on mine and it works great.

I took it out and ran it really hard once, pulled over and checked the temp of the piping with a digital thermometer and saw about 90 degrees difference in the temp of the piping itself.

It has been installed for about 1500 miles now.

That was a lot of rambling, hope it helps you out.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I was wanting to hear!! Thanks for sharing! I wish I could find a boost rating on them; I'm planning on pushing some more PSI than what you're doing and I'm just hoping it hold up to it LOL. I think I'm gonna run with 3" piping as well, I guess I'm probably just looking to make a recipe for a VERY laggy turbo.. lmao

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
innercoolers are rated in CFM, not boost.
if a stock 6.0 plastic IC can handle 20+ pounds of boost, i dont see how an aluminum IC would ever have a problem.

im running this dimensionally same IC.
my ATS has a 2" charge outlet, feeding anything bigger than 2.25 you will not see any difference except for the cost of the tubing.
and maybe more lag.
you should do it and report back.

im boosting 10 psi, and with my bull moose i do see EGT's a little higher. but never over 1100

check out this thread.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...nercooler-piping&highlight=innercooler+piping

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really have a lot of lag like I expected, but 3 inch pipe might make some difference.

Same thing as idioit here, the outlet of the turbo is 2.25 inch on mine, so I saw no real reason to run piping any bigger. The turbo outlet I s the smallest place in the system.

I also doubt you will pop the intercooler with boost pressure. The silicon boots are the weakest link anyway.

88fordidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always consider the boots to be the weak spot; but I plan on using Ford OEM boots and clamps and they're supposedly rated into the 30s on psi.. they're a very pliable boot and the clamps have a ridiculous surface area.. the reason I ask is that I know Mishimoto carry a boost rating (max boost is the breaking point of the system; CFM rating is the capacity of the system.. these 2 things SHOULD be different: CFM depends on size, boost depends on quality of joints). The reason I was thinking 3" piping is because that is what the outlet on my turbo is going to be (when this all comes together). I'll definitely keep you guys informed; I'm just in the parts acquiring point right now. The way I see it I probably have about $3500 more worth of parts I need to acquire; I'll probably take a break at some point in all of this and just drive it a little lol

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a banks sidewinder system. My waste gate is set at 10 psi apparently. I did have to move the waste gate line to the cold side of the system.

You don't notice much difference running around town unloaded, but I went and got a 3000 pound load of gravel yesterday and saw no exhaust temps higher than 900 degrees. That was going uphill in overdrive too.

It dropped the boost pressure on my gauge about 3 psi when the waste gate was still on the hot side. Moved it over and it has come right back up.

Cruising at highway speed, I dropped about 1.5 psi on the gauge.

All that said, it runs WAY better even with the gauge running lower. Colder air just works better. It really clleaned up the smoke unless I have it layer out on the floor at lower rpm.

I have 2.25 inch piping on mine and it works great.

I took it out and ran it really hard once, pulled over and checked the temp of the piping with a digital thermometer and saw about 90 degrees difference in the temp of the piping itself.

It has been installed for about 1500 miles now.

That was a lot of rambling, hope it helps you out.

sounds like your concerns of the setup are a thing of the past now.time to update your original thread.:)

Torinojts

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 75 f250 4door cab mounted on a 94 f250 idi factory turbo set up. I to was looking into an intercooler from crx raceing. I sent them a question on dimensions. They have not replied. They say overall is 31". Is this measurement including the air piping? Can you measure yours and tell me the width not including the air inlet and outlets? I have some limited space. Thanks

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't really have a lot of lag like I expected, but 3 inch pipe might make some difference.

Same thing as idioit here, the outlet of the turbo is 2.25 inch on mine, so I saw no real reason to run piping any bigger. The turbo outlet I s the smallest place in the system.

I also doubt you will pop the intercooler with boost pressure. The silicon boots are the weakest link anyway.

Are you still using your AC condenser? This is an open question to everyone. I want an IC but need my AC. Call me old if you like but I don't like to sweat and drive anymore.

I was looking at the popular 3" core units but I'm wondering if 2.5 will give me a better shot at the AC condenser.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My AC still blows a nice cool 37 degrees!

I will say that the OBS has a little more room in front of the core support area. I had to cut out the vertical brace that goes down from the bottom of the hood latch. I think I had to trim something off the back of the grill too. Can't remember now....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726