Intank pump.........Run dont walk!

Whit

Reaction score
I had the unfortunate pleasure last weekend of replacing an intank pump

Needless to say my opinion of this bandaid of a fix that DC came up with is even more rediculis than the OEM carter pump mounted on the Cummins.

This pump is 4 months old and has already failed, at idle the pump delivers 15 psi but the slightest touch of the throttle yeilds a woppin 4-5 psi, WOT will pull it to ZERO....................So the owner of the truck purchased a Fass II pump from a reputable dealer and we are off to the races with the install.

The bed of the truck was full of stuff so we opted to drop the tank although he had 3/4 full. The use of a good floor jack worked well for this however we still had to put the tank on the shop floor to get clearence to pull the intank pump.Once the tank was on the floor the job was very easy from there.

Following is some pictures of the intank pump along side of the OEM sendor/pickup tube combo, the intank pump/ level sendor is on the left, yes thats the actual pump at the base of the unit there

You must be registered for see images

Ya gotta love that all plastic construction, My buddie wants to try to get his money back from DC on this, I bet they dont do it so I will try to get this so called plastic pump back from him and disect it hehehehe, will be real interesting to see the guts of this thing........here is a good pic to show the difference between the intank pump and a Fass II

I took a pic here to display clearly the inlet screan for the pickup tube on the OEM module

Hope this helps someone if they have troubles with an intank pump :w:

My feeling are clear.........if you have an intank pump dont walk but run to a good after market pump........be it Fass, Walbro, Airdog or Rasp to name a few good ones

Do your research and do the job right once :thumbsup

Mopar1973Man

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there is a lot of talk about Walbros and FASS system but here is a cheaper method for someone on a limited budget...

How about a Campaign pump (about $50 bucks) and a Vulcan Big Line Kit (about $130 bucks)... This has improved my fuel volume and pressure greatly without the big buck price. But I got to admit the campaign pump is no better than the OEM pump of life span. But if you look at the price on it... It odn't bother me to by 2 pumps for half the price of a stock OEM pump... The Campaign pump part number is in my signature... (Cummins Number)
http://www.frontiernet.net/~mopar1973man/images/DSCF0575-640x480.jpg

kerley

Reaction score
Dodge in tank fuel pump.

Im new at this and own a 1998 Dodge 24Valve Cummins. My truck just stopped and we were stranded away from home. We were towed to a diesel repair shop. They replaced the VP44 Ij pump and a new oem lift pump. The truck never ran well and I lost fuel mileage. I checked the Ij pump at idle and there was a severe leak in the fuel line between the filter and the Ij pump about one inch from the Ij pump banjo bolt. Ive got to replace the fuel line and maybe the banjo bolt which will cost $232.00 + tax. plus Dodges labor, My question is...
If I install a FASS fuel pump system, does it come with the hoses to hook up to the IJ pump and would the FASS replace the OEM tank pump and lift pump. I would rather fix, improve, and end the fuel problem than just patch it with more OEM garbage.
Thank you,
~Tom

Last edited:

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i know the line you are talking about and that broken line has nothing to do with the installation of the lift pump. the problem is who ever installed the line to the injector pump did not put the line mounting bracket back on behind the filter housing. if you omit this bracket the line will break from engine harmonics and vibration. sorry about your troubles...I know other will disagree but the factory in the tank retrofit is a good repair as long as the person doing the repair does it correctly.

kerley

Reaction score
condor74,
Thanks for the info. The repair shop also spilled some liquid of some sort on the hood and the paint is peeling. While my Dodge was in their shop someone removed the factory step from the drivers side. They, after being threatened with law suit replaced the step with a less expensive set of matching running boards. The whole ordeal was disgusting. Ofcourse they had my truck and like it or not, I had to pay the bill to get my truck back. So it really does'nt surprize me that they did shoddy work aswell. Thank you for the help. ~Tom

kerley

Reaction score
Is there an after market fuel pump that would replace the in tank pump with just the fuel gage and hoses in the tank with the pump mounted under frame outside the tank.
Thanks, Tom

condor74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know about an aftermarket pump but if you have the original fuel pick up with the pump that used to be mounted on the side of the engine, you can still get the original style pump from Cummins. The pump is made by Carter so you maybe could contact them also....

kerley

Reaction score
My 98 Dodge is all factory. Sounds to me that the real problem is adiquate fuel supply to the lift pump. If I installed a second fuel pump between the OEM tank pump and the OEM lift pump would that solve my problem long term.
~Tom