Intake manifold Gasket

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well folks Im changing my intake manifold gasket. It came in the mail today and one of the ports was slightly bent. So I straightened it out a little, should I be worried? I will probably put a VERY light coat of RTV copper on the face of the one that was bent right before installation.

I drilled multiple holes in the baffle and installed the banks grommet with copper RTV prior to installation of the gasket.

Is there anything I should know?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well for me I would not have added more holes to the baffle pan. On my original 89 intake valley gasket Banks didn't poke holes in the baffle and I drove the wheels off that engine and never had an oil issue. I also understand that ALL intake valley pans are turbo upgrades these days. But you have already done it and are happy with it so carry on and don't worry about the extra holes in the baffle. As for the bent ear on the intake gasket area... Still not a worry. Thats happened to several of mine too. I have bought from three differant suppliers and they all come bent. Some more than others. Some rtv on both sides will not hurt a thing. Actually I use the copper plus on both sides as insurance. I have never had a leak either.

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I changed it today. Everything went well. Now hopefully I can get this trans rebuilt and get my turbo and everything else on.

Blind Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll probably have to tackle mine when the weather gets a bit warmer. I have a decent sized leak from the back of the intake :rolleyes:

Am I correct in assuming that the injection pump will not have to be removed?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The worst part of removing the old one is usually breaking it loose from the factory sealer. That stuff is good!!! since you're replacing it, just force a flat tip screwdriver underneath it and pry away. It will bend, but you have the new one. One time, back in the late 90's, I replaced one that would be fine until the engine was revved pretty good. Then oil would leak out from around the oil drainback and the grommet. Nothing would stop it until I put a hole in the baffle. Since it was already on the engine, I used an air hammer with a punch bit in it to make the hole so no shavings would fall into the engine. After that, I always put a hole in all of them with a turbo application.