Installing Electric Lift Pump what to do with hard line to filter???

nicksorenson

Reaction score
I'm thinking I'm going to install an electric lift pump. I can't handle this air in fuel problem I've been troubleshooting. My question is this:

-What do I do with the hard line that goes from the old lift pump to the fuel filter head?
-What's the best way to get the fuel from the electronic fuel pump to the filter head?
-What voltage signal do I use to power the relay (to turn on the holley red or equivalent)?

Thanks!
Nick

I'm assuming when I need to find a leak after the lift pump mod, I just turn it on without the engine being on and watch for fuel to come spilling out of a leaky hose/connection/etc... Is that correct?

JPR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For temporary (still there 3 years later), I connected a short length of fuel hose that bypasses the old fuel pump. Put a loop in the hose for engine movement. Pick up a Chevy fuel pump block off plate to cover the opening from the mechanical pump.

I installed an Holley 'red' fuel pump immediately after the tank selector valve, photo

As far as wiring, I connected a fuse tap for the +12v for the pump to fuse #18 (tachometer and glow plug controller) in the fuse box. I also picked up the safety switch from gasser, but never got it installed.

Yes, you can turn the key on, let the pump run and check for leaks or purge the air from the schrader valve on the filter.

Side note, the Holley pumps are loud. The only thing they use to minimize noise transmission is a thin sheet a rubber. The best 'fix' I have found is a larger exhaust and turning up the radio. LOL

Last edited:

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When i installed this mod I tried to make some adapters to connect to the metal pipe going into the fuel filter. But, it was leaking real bad so I hacked it off and just attached the rubber hose directly to the line. I can get you part numbers for the relay if you want.

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents. When I was having bad air in fuel problems, I finally tracked it down to the fuel selector valve. Bypassed valve and ran direct to the front tank and no more trouble. Still running stock lift pump. One of these days I need to get that selector valve changed!!!!

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought an electric pump. Going to install it in a few days here.

My plan is to grab a '91 gasser fuel selector valve. On this model there is an electric feed pump in each tank, and whatever one supplies pressure gets switched to automatically. The switch on the dash controls which pump (front or rear) gets power.

I'm going to install this first pump immediate after my front tank. Going to use a hard plastic line from the tank to pump, and rubber after that.

A few weeks ago I replaced a chunk of leaky steel line with rubber on the suction side. I noticed with the engine idling that a gentle kink would make the line suck closed, and I think it's giving me problems in the high rpms when there's a solid negative pressure in the fuel lines.

I want pressure on my lines as much as possible. Negative pressure means air leaks and collapsing rubbing lines.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I build a bracket to support the bottom of the hard line, and use one of the blockoff plate bolts to anchor it. I then made a bunch of trips to home depot until I figured out what fittings I needed to go from that goofy threaded compression deal to a hose barb. LOL If you don't anchor the bottom, you'll run into problems eventually.

fsSnowboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmm, i need to anchor the bottom some how :) I tried the fittings and couldn't get anything that would work.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Or, you can do as I did and not worry about it. Install your pump, hook it to the line coming from the tank selector as you see fit. Throw away everything else from that point forward and use Russell Pro Flex. Yes, it will cost you a little now, but mine has been on there for two years and will last many more. I ran it from the outlet on the pump clear to the filter head. Removed the old lift pump and then used a big block chevy fuel pump block off plate. I also installed a pre filter, of the Perma Cool variety and a 7.3 style filter head. Works great. I used the Carter pump which has a nice mounting plate with rubber isolators, have had good results thus far short of forgetting just how long it was on there and having to change the rear filter after a short tow home. I am sure I am not getting the cleanest fuel though and the next station with diesel is 20 miles away.

Jegs and Summit both have their flavors of the Pro Flex braided stainless hose as well at a much lower cost. I have used all three, Russell - Jegs - Summit Racing - and honestly see little difference for the money. Theirs if probably made by the same company, but who knows.