Installed a moose junior and bb's

89banks

Reaction score
Just wanted to say thanks to Mel at "cantspellit diesel" I bought a pump and a set of bb injectors from him. Install went like butter and my truck has awoke from its rather lethargic nap it had been taking. My truck has 241k on it the pump and injectors were original. I put a banks kit on it 10years and 100k ago but never updated the fueling.

I own a vw shop and this was my rescue rig for fallen VW diesels and what not.

Thanks Mel!

Sal

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tell people to remember it this way. It's "cone" like ice cream cone, "stoga" like cigar stogie but just with an A, and an E in between. LOL American History educators have failed this nation! The Conestoga wagon is what settled the west, and they were built in... guess where? LOL

It's one of the reasons I bought moosepump.com

Glad you like your goodies. :thumbsup:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What did you set the engine timing for. Most here like 9.0 degrees advance. Factory was 8.5 plus or minus 2.5 degrees...:eek: That a 5 degree spread that many here do not agree with. Timing is very critical on these engines and little movements makes for big changes.

89banks

Reaction score
I used the fox valley and set it to 28.5 on the edge of the timing tab as per a couple other diys. At 2000 rpm. Runs good at the moment. If someone has a better way to check it with my current tooling.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I used the fox valley and set it to 28.5 on the edge of the timing tab as per a couple other diys. At 2000 rpm. Runs good at the moment. If someone has a better way to check it with my current tooling.

I'm not familiar with this timing position. Why use the edge when the marks are clearly on the tab and damper. This DIY statement is suspect without actually trying it. Also you have not posted advance or retard for this 28.5 timing mark. In all honesty I don't feel our engines could run let alone start at 28.5 degrees advanced timing. Please explain more so others along with me can understand this post.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bet his timing setup does not have a way to shift the 20 degrees that our kent-Moore meters can. So probably, it is running the equivalent of 8.5 on our meters.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
O boy another timing debate schmozzle LOL LOL

7 to 7.5 BTDC if you want quick snappy off the line pulling nuts with 0% turbo lag,no excessive engine noise,no puffing black smoke,very manageable EGT levels and good fuel economy.;Really

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All well taken timing advice. I enjoy reading what works for some and what does not work for some.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Perhaps....Perhaps...

First it's unclear where what your timing is at based on what the above statment reads. I fully understand your 28.5 deg...

20deg offset and then 8.5 for timing. but that should be WAY off according to the edge of timing tab as stated! It isn't 28.5 at edge..

USE Advanced search, Choose TIMING in key words and switch to title not thread...then below put in my username.

I've several good threads with discussions on timing and timing tape and TECH 101 timing marks and so on.

Besides the Fox timing adapter which if I'm correct is a PULSE line clamp adapter what are you using for a timing light?

There is a real simple way to utilize TIMING TAPE and a regular timing light with NO advance to get decent results.

Hope that helps

SEARCH is your friend here it's amazing!

JM2CW

89banks

Reaction score
What I found and I'll get a link to it when I get back to my desktop. Is someone had a fox valley and an adjustable timing light btdc only of course.

He had a running 7.3 and put the light on it when the timing mark on the hb and the very outer edge (drivers side) lined up he was dialing 28.5 at 2000 rpm. It's really an arbitrary number but at a fixed point. I did the same thing and the truck starts instantly and has good power. If someone else has a better way I am more than happy to try that as well. I am trying to find a local with a stock truck that I can verify it again.