Injectors rusty and cracked

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I'm in the process of removing my injectors to replace them. So far I have 6 out. Some of them have looked brand new and others have not. The ones that do not look new were rusty on the injector body. Is this normal? The picture is of injector #1 and is the worst so far. What worries me is the crack, but I'm also worried about the rust. Is there any way to prevent this? Delphi G code with 51k on them.
You must be registered for see images attach
rusty and cracke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I must say, thats the first nozzle cap I've ever seen cracked like that. That had to be really over torqued.

What did the copper washer look like? Does it have a good indent like a well torqued injector? The one shown with the washer looks OK as far as the washer, very little carbon on it.

The FNG

NOT a Powerstroke!
Reaction score
I don't think there are any indents on the washers, but there isn't much carbon either. Most are shiny.

Any reason it would be cracked other than over torquing? What about the rust?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The reason for the rust is simple. Our injectors have the seal on the bottom of the injector where the compression copper seal is located. The upper body of the injector has nothing sealing the water from it. True, We have the course threads but they are not a seal. You might use some RTV on the threads to act like a thread sealant or use some antisieze on the threads. The MAY act more like a seal. Really nothing is going to stop all fluids from leaking down past the injector body threads. I suggest once the injectors are removed that you use a dental pick and drap it around the head seal area on especially this cylinder where the rusty injector came from. If the point of the pick gets stuck in any part of the cast iron area where the copper washer sits. I would think you have a cut seat area. then you will need an injector seat reamer to recut the bad seating area. If you try to use a new copper gasket on a damaged seat you will never get a good seal. Then carbon fills the injector bore and you have a hell of a time removing the injector later on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12

Members online