%%$^$##@ Injectors came apart while removing!

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2^^ got the extra hour:music: I guess the main thing about getting injectors is that you want to make sure they are pop tested and matched. I would only trust one source to shim my injectors. Agnem

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wish i knew about the reamer :eek: I just did my injectors about a month ago. Made a HUGE difference combined with new return kit. Looks like the OE injectors from who knows how many miles ago :eek:

odd question, but doesnt the washer just help seat the injector, if the washer leaks then the injector will get sooty and CR will drop some but the system is still virtually sealed at the threaded part right:confused:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is my understanding, as long as you have no compression leak at the top she's sealed - spray some soapy water around the injectors on a cold engine, see if there are any bubbles there... Now the problem would be if the copper washer didn't actually seal right, and the carbon builds up at the threads and that seals it - then it will still work just as good, only it will be a pain to remove next time, so in like 10 years or so.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to replace the copper shims.. what a mistake that turned out to be!

Next question is: how bad is it if you mix and match injectors? Since I'll need 2 new ones I doubt Ill be able to find two more BB code injectors..
I have a chance to pick up some G codes.. will it really make a big difference? its an 89 n/a 5spd 7.3 idi

The G code injectors are for a turbo engine. If you can't find some BB codes locally, try o-f-i.com PM type4 or agnem, but I think they said there supply is back ordered.

An injector seat reamer is rather expensive, around $100+. You have to be carefull on how you use it or you'll ***** the seat, never drive it with a power tool, only by hand, if you borrow one from "icanfixall".

Boy was I way off on the price.;Really

Diesel Injector Seat Cleaner for Ford & Navistar Diesels
Code: OTC-5023

Injector Seat Cleaner No. OTC-5023 Injector Seat Cleaner Carbon buildup on an injector seat surface prevents proper seating of new...
Quantity: Regular Price: $466.95
Sale Price: $283.67

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes... These seat reamers are expensive. I bought one off ebay and got another reamer in a 6.9 tool box kit. I have loaned them out plenty too. Only one member here ruined my reamer. He had a stuck copper washer so he jammed a three sided file into the injector port. Broke it off. Wanted to use my reamer to grind it out and clean "other seats"... Well when I got my reamer back it was fubared from the hardened file grinding on it....:eek:-cuss:mad: Can we say ******* ruined my reamer... Sure.. Last thing I heard from this guy is he had drilled all around the stuck file end trying to loosen it in the hole....:eek: Now can we say ruined head..... These copper washers are not rocket science. They are simple to remove. Tap them with a screw driver and they pop off the seat. Driving something into the center hole will never make them pop out. What happens is the tool driven into the washer contacts the head... Some will never learn I guess.... I do know this... We had a member here once that I will never offer help to again.....

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:mad:Can we say ******* ruined my reamer

X2 on that Gary. Some guys are mechanic's and other's are shall we say wreckanics.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the tips guys.
I picked up a complete set of G code injectors locally (big thanks to gonecrazyi)
I know I'm not turbo, but I'm sure these will work just fine. They were yanked off a newer turbo idi which ran perfectly before it was parted out.

I have bore brushes so I'll be thoroughly cleaning the bores and making sure to blow out any carbon that fell in the engine by turning off the IP and cranking the motor a few times. I'm sure i can scrub the carbon off the injector seats good enough with a brass bore brush.

Im soaking the injectors in some carb cleaner right now, after that they'll get a bath in some seafoam and then be installed

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is my understanding, as long as you have no compression leak at the top she's sealed - spray some soapy water around the injectors on a cold engine, see if there are any bubbles there... Now the problem would be if the copper washer didn't actually seal right, and the carbon builds up at the threads and that seals it - then it will still work just as good, only it will be a pain to remove next time, so in like 10 years or so.

Thanks for reaffirming that. Looks like I was right on the money. Nice thing about diesels is the soot seals things :sly. Wonder if this could be an easy way to very slightly lower CR some :dunno

@icanfixall, I cant believe he tried doing that with a file :eek: I could see using needle nose vice grips or similar but darn dude that sucks! Did he offer to repay you for the damage to the tool?

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little bit of an update.
After painstakingly removing both lower halves of the injectors, i cleaned out the bores, put the new injectors (G codes) in, put the new return lines in and the truck has never run better!! its ALOT more responsive and a bit more powerful now!

Only downside is now the neck around my radiator cap is leaking.. I've no idea why.. I'm hoping i can buy some sort of repair putty to put around the neck or something..

Either way I'm very pleased with how this truck runs now! I can't believe how smooth it is!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good there working for you. I had a set of bb's but have no idea what I did with them lol.

Let me know what happens with your radiator, I've got a few spares on my trailer that had been collecting dust in my porch for the past year or two.

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do, thanks!

I wonder what type of mileage I'll get?
i was getting 15-17.5 before.. and that was with some very leaky lines and [apparently the original] ***** injectors

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Dammit Billy...hellova guy ain't he Jam? You could give your hand at soldering the neck to get you by if you know how to...

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I try to help out when I can, I wish I had more time to play around with my truck parts but between working full time and going to school full tine I don't have enough time to keep parts moving out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Commander.... No the guy didn't offer to pay for the ruined tool. I don't see him on here any longer either but I still watch for him.... Someday I will out him but just not now...

jam sandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dammit Billy...hellova guy ain't he Jam? You could give your hand at soldering the neck to get you by if you know how to...

I will definetely give soldering a try.. I'm a self proclaimed expert ;Really

Thanks again Billy, This truck is finally coming together, and with not too much money either! I'll let you know if this soldering doesn't work (I'm hoping it does)