Injector question

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
What's the proper torque for the injectors on a IDIT? Pulled and pop tested mine with a little over 60,000 on them and there's a couple with the bottom nozzle housing split up the side. These were Delphi injectors.

IM just going to pick up a set of Stanadyne G codes locally and be done with it!

Getting tired of working on the IDI! Seems like I put 3 times as much work into this truck then I do the psd's.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Torque for the injectors is 35 ft-lbs, according to my factory shop manual. I usually coat the threads in anti-seize before installing.

A split housing is a new one to me...were they that overtorqued, or any ideas what happened?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
something else is going on here that is not yet visible. If you ever disected an injector you will see the bottom part is pretty tough. It has to be to withstand the heat and pressure. 35 ft lbs is considered "snug" when you bottom out on the copper washer initially and give it a little more of a tug.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be cursed. Happens to some people. I'll never know why. There is no accounting for you wrenching on your IDI so much.

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
Dunno I think the IDI gods hate me? The excursion just turned 170,000 on the odo and I just now need to do the first real repair on it besides brakes and that's turbo pedestal o-rings a 2 hour job tops.

I do ask a lot out of my trucks but I take good care of them on the back side. I am **** as hell but none of the other vehicles seem to need to garner this much attention.

Dualie

pyromaniac at large
Reaction score
Yea 15. 11 under the factory 100,000 mile extended warranty driving it off the dealers lot on day one with 115 miles on it the damn thing got locked in overdrive and stalled. 2 blocks from the dealer. The last ford reman lasted 90,000 miles. Then at 180,000 it **** the bed.

The local guy did it 2 times and couldn't get it right, gave me my money back. Then I went to a ford master tech that is the lead transmission guy at Hayward fords commercial vehicle service department. He had to do it twice to get it right. so far that one has lasted 20,000 miles.

Most of them I attribute to the fact that the factory transmission cooler on the IDI's is literally smaller than the power steering cooler on the new Superdutys. did want to change it till the truck was out of warranty given the history of eating transmissions I was worried they would void my damn warranty putting an aftermarket trans cooler in.

Any other questions? Feel free to shoot them at me.

Oh the superduty went through one @150,000 miles. Even then only reverse was starting to slip. And that was after backing our six horse (combined weight 27,000 loaded) up a 6% grade around two turns to unload at our new barn 30 or so times. The IDI never had to do this.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing that has been thrown around here is that most E4OD problems on the IDI are associated with the tranny computer having a hard time communicating with the mechanical engine. OkieGringo advocates upgrading to a Baughman(sp?) computer to alleviate this problem. That, however is not a cheap option, but if he was right that would explain why they last better behind SuperDuty trucks, computer+computer=good; mechanical+mechanical =good; Computer + mechanical=bad?

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's so much the mecahnical engine, as the SENSORS on the engine that can fail.

The difference is when a sensor fails on an electronic engine, the engine runs liek crap and the owner has it fixed. On the IDI engines, when the sensor fails the owner keeps driving until the trans craps out.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, you might very well be right, how often have we heard of people driving he E40DOA until it won't run anymore, long after they knew they were headed for problems, but hey, I treated the C6 like that too.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
E4ODs have problems in their computerized gasser and diesel app's too though. Apparently no manufacturer can make the transition from mech 3spd to electronic OD without problems. This may explain why they are outsourcing.
James

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70

Members online