injector pump timing

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally found a guy with the machine to time my pump, but i guess somewhere in the past years of my 92, the tab with the wholes to put the little sensor down by the harmonic balancer has been broken off. So he cant time it. I found one at the yard, and ripped it off, but with no time to jb weld it on and get it to him, I'd like to atleast advance the timing a little myself.

I know I need to loosen the three nuts at the pump, and put a wrench on the little tab out front to move it, but how far?

The lines are lined up perfectly as of right now, but with the lack of power prior to replacement, no smoke, and hard start, its got to me off.

So if I loosen the nuts, do i pull the pump out a little and try to turn it, or do i just need to put my back into it a little more. Last time I tried I didnt put a wrench to it, just bare hands.

motox tech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What three are you loosining? If its the correct three, you shouldnt be able to pull it out.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are the three at the front of the pump towards the radiator. one a the top center, and the two at the botton on the sides.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a pump turning wrench. It's not going to move with your hands.

paulzx

Reaction score
question, if the pump in properly timed on the average, what is the width between the the marks on the pump. i'm asking cause i don't have the timing tool to adjust properly, but this motor was just installed in my truck and previous owner had the pump about 1/4 of inch towards the passenger side from the marks on gear cover. it sounded like a powerstroke and not like an idi, i turned it down to about 1/2 of the distance between the marks. it's alot better. i'm just curious if there is more economy to be had. i'm getting about 16.5 mpg (cdn) 4.5litres=1 gallon

thank you

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's impossible to say. On average, the marks are between 1/16th and 1/4" towards the passenger side, but not always. Proper timing is just that. Anything else is guessing, which can leave power and economy in the barn.

surfib

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I loosened up the pump, turned it, but when i let off the pressure, it wouldn't stay, it went back to where it originally was.

Any suggestions?

Also, when looking at my rebuilt injectors, i noticed a few said BB and one said E. those were the only I could see. Bad, good, indifferent?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're essentially bending all the injector lines when you move the pump, so naturally there is going to be a good bit of resistance and a bit of springiness as well. It is often best to have a helper assist you. When I do my timing clinics, I usually ask the truck owner to control the pump position while I work the wrench.