Injector noises

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guys when you first turn the key on arent you suppose to here the injectors making that humming and popping sound? From that video we were talking about where he changes the hpop oil he says that you can tell when you have healthy injectors by that unique sound they make is this true? They are suppose to make that sound if there in good shape correct?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ive never heard a 7.3 fire the injectors when you turn the key on.when they are running they should be making the buzzy type noise that you would hear from a school bus or other IH trucks.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so when you trun the key of a 6.0 liter you hear the fuel pump and the injectors correct?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that i dont know.i dont know anything about the 6 leakers.and really dont care to learn about them cuz i wont touch em.but they do make a buzzing/humming noise when you turn the key on and off

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
mine never does it.94.5-97 had mechanical fuel pumps.99-up 7.3s had electric pumps that you can hear humm.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
The 6.0 Liter will buzz the injectors and you will hear the fuel pump running if you have the key in the run position. To me it is strange to hear the older trucks on the cold start videos and they don't seem to make a sound till they hit the starter.

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well thats what i am wondering, the only noise i get from my truck is at the GPR buzzes while its energizing the plugs about 15 seconds later it shuts off and thats the only noises there is what so ever?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what year is your truck?the 7.3s dont make any noises when you turn the key on except on some 99-03s you might hear the fuel pump.the 6.0s makes noise when you turn the key on.

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the injectors are not the noise makers... they are operated by the engine oil. gotta be cranking/running... what you are hearing is the electric pump, the test mode of all sensors/actuators, and the cold starting aids (GPs, intake heater, fuel heater)

res0wc18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok i see now. On mu 97 i hear the glow plug relay kick on and heat up etc but thats it. I was just wondering what all the extra noise besides the fuel pump was on the 6.0's

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the injectors are not the noise makers... they are operated by the engine oil. gotta be cranking/running... what you are hearing is the electric pump, the test mode of all sensors/actuators, and the cold starting aids (GPs, intake heater, fuel heater)

ya them 6 leakers are noisey little brats.we have one here now that we use to pull a 4 car wedge.OMG is that thing noisy.i like the exhaust though.it has a 5 inch exhuast on it and its loud!!!!at idle it sounds like a hairdryer on steroids :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online

No members online now.