Injector Change

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just changed my injectors this weekend and finished my test run today, all I can say is WOW!! My old ones must have been really bad because on this one merge lane I could get the truck up to about 62-63 with the old ones in and now I can hit about 68-70 on the same lane, the engine still shakes a bit at idle from air still trapped I am guessing but not as bad as it used to and my passenger rear injector may not be tight enough because there are bubbles coming out from the base but not a whole lot. I could not change the rear passenger line that runs to the back because it runs under my turbo and I can't see where it goes to, plus when I went to fire it back up I expected to be cranking forever on this thing but it fired pretty much right up, maybe about 8-10 seconds of cranking and clatter clatter clatter ;Sweet . I know it still may have or is entraining air into it a bit so how long does it take to purge it out of the system, I have bled the injectors and it runs worse after I bleed them for a sec or two after I tighten the lines back down due to air again. Well I would like to thank everyones help on this little project due to the massive amount of posts regarding changing these out. BTW how much better performance do you guys think a new pump would do? This one has 219,800 miles on it and shows no signs of quitting, it fires right up when hot (not even 1 revolution before it fires) and fires right up when cold too, I really want the moose pump but I really don't want to hassle with the intercooler setup, that ATS housing looks like a PITA to remove.

Thanks again!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A rough idle is not good. Neither are bubbles. Best to fix what you can see is bad first, and go from there. The air in the injector lines is pretty much gone in the first minute. Air from the pump is gone after 3 cycles. With new pump and injectors, it should run smoothly after a minute. A miss or rough running is usually the sign of a fuel leak somewhere on the lines, either at the pump or injectors. Rule of thumb, if you have to change something blindly, that's where murphy will take up residence.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
REM70