in truck dana 50 inner ujoint R&R

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard this is possible without taking the front cover off, I don't see how. Have any of yall done it? Doing the outers is simple enough but as far as I know all dana 50's have the inner shaft held in place by a c clip inside the differential.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
The inner CAN be done with the differential chunk still in the truck, but it's not fun...
You will definitely need a u-joint/ball joint press. And a lot of patience.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a press and cant imagine trying to manuver it in place. wonder if anyone has pics of how they did it.

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry no pics, but i did change that inner u-joint under the truck. I used c-clamp like this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b1/Closed_c-clamp.JPG . It wasn't too bad, but i guess i was lucky because it wasn't corroded there. It was kind a tight spot, but if you have one of those c-clamps just start to press it and tap few times with a hammer, then press and hammer etc. That way i got it out, installing the new one is easy even you're under the truck, because it slides so well...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the hunkofchunk and do C clip eliminator while it's out. Google D50 C clip eliminator...it's just a spring LOL

Also drill and tap the chunk for a drain plug if you plan to keep the D 50 for any length of time.

JM2CW

Al

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you get the small Tiger Tool ujoint puller it's really easy, and it's an excellent tool you can keep and use forever.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$200 ouch!, I can see that would be handy for the steering joint too. I'm going to see how much clearance I have with my current tool. I really don't think I need to replace it right now. I'm going to do the bushings next spring figure I could do it then when she's off the truck, worse comes to worse.

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$200 ouch!, I can see that would be handy for the steering joint too. I'm going to see how much clearance I have with my current tool. I really don't think I need to replace it right now. I'm going to do the bushings next spring figure I could do it then when she's off the truck, worse comes to worse.

Depends how much your going to use it I guess. I've done it that way and that's the best/easiest way i know of, but I understand the cost. I've also seen that joint cut out with a torch.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled that post up earlier while doing a search and it had no pictures. I don't know why ford put that c clip in there, if it weren't for that it would be a piece of cake like the drivers side. If Iever do it in truck or even out I'll take pics. and post them up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online

No members online now.