im cursed with cooling

ididiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so every vehicle i buy used has a cooling issue of some sort,my 93 now diagnosed with having blown head gaskets. water on the oil dipstick oil in rad and unknown crap in radiator with a little side of milkshake coolent.yum anyone want some. so here beguins a project. im going to pull the motor and reabuild it from top to botom but im trying to decide during this build ide like to get my truck to keep up with my exs cummins so is it possible to hit 300hp and like 750 ftlbs na or am i going to have to boost it and wich way would be best for a fuel milage increase.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would almost bet with both fluids swapping that you have experienced the dreaded caviation.... where you end up with pin holes in the block... yes I know it sounds like something I dreamed up but actually the coolant has eaten a hole through to the piston and is dumping coolant into the oil and vise versa... that was the cause of my first rebuild....

Make sure that when you pull her apart that you pay special attention to numbers 7 and 8 cylinders. as those are the most prone to cavitation.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
isn't it neat being a moderator... it you make a double post you can fix it pretty quick...

Last edited:

ididiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but on a side note if it was cavitation why isnt the oil dipstick look like a milkshake? i only have milkshake in the rad but water on the top half of the dipstick.Sorry if i anoy anyone i just dont know alot about these idis

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It may very well be cavitation just a posted above but... You wont know till its apart andt he bock is pressure tested. Sorry for the pesamistic outlook but I have been there too as several others can attest to. These 7.3 blocks are bored so thin on the cylinders that they flex every time the combustion happens. That flexing pushes the cylinder out into the coolant, then it returns to a normal state. Thats when it happens. The area formed becomes a vacuum at the liners and then it refills with coolant. This happens so suddenly the crash causes a small amount of iron to get eaten away. Same thing happens to a pump impeller or a boat propeller. Now the block needs to be sleeved on all 8 cylinders. Finding a good quality shop that will do that correctly is another really tuff thing.You are not alone in Oregon. there is plenty of other members living up there.

ididiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i could use some members im the mechanic on my dads farm and we have 2 idis i dont know enough about em and i went to uti

ididiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you have fluids swapping both way correct????

well sorta i have no coolent that i can see in the motor oil only oil in the rad thats were the milk shake is also the truck eats about a gallon of coolent every 2 day till today. i bought a new rad cap and moded my exhast i have straight pipe just were the bed meets the cab now but today i drove from work to home after the truck had been sitting for 6 or so hours and it got hot real hot but the gauge lied to me said i was at the L but somehow boiling coolent dosnt register L with me it says ******** build a motor now. o and work is less then 2 miles away from home no stop sighns or lights

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bob123456789

Members online

No members online now.