im back... with a question

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
Hello all its been awhile but i have a question to ask the obn collective as you know i have a 95 fummins it still has the ford zf5 but the clutch is so dang stiff its insane chris can confirm that..!

After seeing the recent clutch bracket thread it got me thinking would the heim join mod help this at all and also can anyone who has had one of these assemblys out and played with it see any way to change the leverage point to make clutch effort much better but not have 5ft of pedal travel because of it?

Im sure something could be made... kinda the same concept of short throw shifter installs except you dont have to worry about added tension on the shifter ...

Also before some one askes how bad could it be its stiffer that a standard dmf that my black truck had and its harder than anything we have on the farm including the 1960 gmc c60 graintruck

It feels like a pulling truck clutch....

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How old's the clutch?

My truck used to be like that when I still had the T-19...ended up being so bad that I killed a clutch slave cylinder and started to crack the firewall :shocked: Basically, what happened in my case was that the clutch had been in there so long that the shaft the throwout bearing rides on had lost its grease. When I replaced the slave cylinder, I took that opportunity to pull the fork out and stuck my hand in the hole and put as much grease as I could on the shaft. It helped, but I swapped to the ZF about a year later, so I don't know how ong it would have lasted.

Ideally, you you want to separate the transmission from the engine and grease everything as thoroughly as possible...OTOH at that point you may as well replace the clutch while you're at it...

BTW, there used to be a throwout bearing available for the T-19 that has a zerk fitting integrated into it, so you could hit it with a grease gun and avoid this problem. Unfortunately, I have yet to source one for the ZF, and the T-19 one won't fit (tried that when I did the trans swap)...and IIRC the T-19 greasable zerk isn't available at all anymore :(

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I like stiff clutches mine is like sloppy ******* an it's new everything is on the truck. All trade you clutches anyday. All joking aside what clutch is in there anywhere maybe it's upgraded to a nv4500 there is away to make it work an it's what you would need for the power your running. An have heard there stiff as hell.

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
The problem is the unknown as in i have no clue whats in there all i know is its a cummins with a ford zf5.... i have heard that it could be a cummins flywheel.. duh which im sure it is... dodge clutch but a ford pilot bearing and tob orrr a dodge pilot with custom spacer.... idk

I have heard of another setup but i cant remember what was in it

I honestly need to do something anyways cause the tob is squeaking but the clutch is good and defently holds the power had about 10k behind it this summer without a bit of issue even with low speed maneuvring

Soooooo what can we do to soften this pedal its like using the brakes without power assist that kinda hard

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Noob question, but is it hydraulic or mechanical? If its hydraulic upgrading the master cylinder would help provided the slave could take the abuse. My 88 f150 with zf5 was hydraulic and like butter. If its mechanical, maybe an upgrade is in order.

Matrix37495

The Amish Wolfman
Reaction score
Pretty sure it's all the OEM type hyd clutch stuff. The question is in the pressure plate and such.

Yes, it is super stiff... Stiffer than even our twin disc semi clutches...

93cc7.3

needs turbo power
Reaction score
ya its all hydraulic in fact me and chris didnt make it 100 miles from picking up the truck when the slave blew then about 1000 miles later the master went .... so its all new hydraulics the clutch and brake pedals move alot when using both and the pedal squeaks terribly.

i think the heim joint mod is a good starting point to get rid of the metal on metal rubbing then maybe some sort of redesign on the linkage system.

really i need to have a complete assembly out on a bench to try and figure out maybe a way to make some type of cam system ya know like a compound bow has .... ill be ok with alittle more pedal travel but i dont want to be going from dash to floor on every gear honestly id love some sort of push button clutch system that would be trick like a paddle mounted on the shifter maybe even a mini air valve to apply air over hydro pressure hummmmmm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online