IH 986 Tractor IP questions

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Paging anyone who has changed or worked on a IH 986 IP. The one we have is getting weak and was considering changing IP's. I've recently changed the IP on my pickup, 92 F250 with IDI, so my thought was should be fairly similar.
The engine has no computers of any kind all mechanical injection, thanks ahead of time.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you get it changed out with out major fuss? It should have been a really straight forward swap.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, we took the tractor to the same guy that rebuilt the injectors on my pickup. He overhauled the pump and checked out the injectors.
When I was talking to him about the tractor he asked when was the last time the injectors were rebuilt, without hesitating I said... never.
Got the tractor in 1980, never did a thing to the engine or IP so $1500 was too bad, I thought.
He said the pump had part that was close to breaking, my dad saw the part, better fixing now, then broke down in the field.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, those are tough things aren't they? :) That's why we run IH tractors, they seem to run forever, go through a ton of abuse (my brother), and are easy to repair. At least at this point in the game we are super familiar with Internationals and how they are supposed to sound and run so that makes it easier. We've accumulated a few of those tractors, and my favorite is our 766 which we've had since new and the last rebuild we did was in the early 90s. This winter I went to start it up after it had been sitting for a few weeks and it hit in less than a revolution without plugging it in. It's a testament to how dependable these things are.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online