ignition woes

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dad called and said the truck wouldn't start with the key anymore... After disassemble, I find that the paddle, or key on the end of the key/tumblers is twisted off... further investigation I see that the linkage is loose in the column. The key and tumblers rotates a gear block that in turn pushes a "Hook" shape arm that then pushes the long rod down the column to the switch. Is there aftermarket upgrades for this long rod and its Hook shape arm? It seems there is a lot of give in the hook arm rather than pushing firmly down on the rod. That long rod could use a channel to keep it from pushing off to the side. The result would be a straight push of the long rod and also less slop in the key ignition rotation. I have seen on some other fords, you have to rotate the key quite a ways around to get the car/truck to start.

thx
jim

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hello Flare... thanks for the thought.. but its not the switch... I 1) replaced it 2) tried to adj... I cant adj it to a position that all key positions will work ACC RUN START position... I can visibly see that rod and cam bend instead of push properly

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
Well, if starting it is a must, unbolt that electronic switch and use your fingers to slide that plastic piece and start the truck, that'll get you by until you can figure out your next move.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flare side... have u been watching my dad for the past 2 months??? that is what he is doing since I live in OR and he is in NV with the truck.... OH that's there only means to get to town since they have snow often