Ignition "thing" Broke

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Not happy today.... That silly ignition switch pot metal piece that is attached to the rod that activates the ignition switch broke today at the dirt store.... REALLY PISSED ME OFF TOO... I just reset the ignition switch and yesterday I "felt" something odd when I would start the engine. So today it breaks. Its easy to start by lifting the wire after you get out. Open the hood like a hillbilly and jump the solenoid. If only I had a TIG torch setup in my shop... Damn...

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Time for a push bottom start! They always do that. Seems like they click on okay, but once you turn it more to activate starter, they all eventually break at some point in time.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tilt wheel? You can pick up that actuator arm pretty reasonable at local parts store, although I remember it being kinda a pain to get in there. Check that your switch slides freely. I think they get stiff over time and break the little arm. Lube it up, check that everything slide freely, and good to go.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I just replaced the actual ignition switch bout 2 months ago. I recall how tuff it was to replace the thingy about 15 years ago. If I could tig something you bet I would fab up something to last..but maybe these are designed to fail so something else more expensive does not fail..Nope... nothing expensive in this area...

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird (to me) it broke with a new switch. I thought they broke cause the switch got still and it was too hard to push. If your's broke with new switch - it must be something else.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
My 88 did this during the really cold snap back in January.

The biggest thing is the 30 year lube isn't very "lube-y" anymore. Add cold and its worse. Just one of the things one the list for spring.....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It might have been the actuator going bad all along Gary. Your other ignition switch might not be bad. The ****** for me is I just rebuilt mine with fresh lube and the ******* is still stiff when cold. Don’t know what that’s about. I’ll check it when I straighten the steering wheel. It’s off a tooth or two and drives me nuts going down the road.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828