ignition lock barrel operation

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
i recently swapped out my automatic steering column for a manual column. i found one from the same trim level and model year truck but the ignition cylinder had been removed, which was totally fine, because i wanted a new one from advance.

however this brand new lock cylinder does NOT spring back from the "start" position when you release it. it just stays there.

would that be an issue with the lock cylinder itself or my column?

ive perused alldata, other sites, and the internet and not found anything really describing how that whole system is supposed to work.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the "springing" action comes from the slider switch lower down on the column. Change it out asap. It usually indicates the slider switch is coming apart and the worst case scenario is a fire.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
well thankfully there are no batteries attached. this truck is still in pieces.

right now i see a wiring harness where the actuator ends... is the slider switch inside that? or is that the entire thing?

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
i found something really suspect... there is a crescent shaped carrier of some sort going from the actuator rod down to a point on the column with a spring (probably run posn)... that part, when actuated, does not push flat against the spring on the column, and in fact it pivots against the spring. that keeps the rod from sliding down the column, and in fact that is probably keeping the ignition switch itself from working at all.

now i gotta somehow find that crescent shaped linkage and, whats worse, find a good way to replace it :(

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i found something really suspect... there is a crescent shaped carrier of some sort going from the actuator rod down to a point on the column with a spring (probably run posn)... that part, when actuated, does not push flat against the spring on the column, and in fact it pivots against the spring. that keeps the rod from sliding down the column, and in fact that is probably keeping the ignition switch itself from working at all.

now i gotta somehow find that crescent shaped linkage and, whats worse, find a good way to replace it :(
my bad.
i should have asked if you have a tilt column or not.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
tryin to find the part on LMC truck right now. i think im gonna have to take the armor off to see what exactly is going on down in there, because i may possibly be able to make a replacement at work.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
tryin to find the part on LMC truck right now. i think im gonna have to take the armor off to see what exactly is going on down in there, because i may possibly be able to make a replacement at work.
those parts should still be avail at ford if not the motormite/doorman rack at your local parts house.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
hope youre right towcat. its a pretty salty looking part... looks like cast aluminum. if i cant buy it im almost positive i can make it better than new... just adds time to the rebuild -cuss

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are talking about #14 in the picture below being broken, that's a common problem with the tilt columns. The Ford dealer keeps these in stock and they are not too expensive.

vbpgimage.php

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
i think tahts the part, but it may also be 13. i think 14 has to rod going down the column. tough to say until i get it all ripped apart this afternoon.

TwoTone IDI

ZF swap completed!
Reaction score
was just like you said, part #14 in the diagram above.

look out if you buy one off the rack at your parts counter. i brought one home only to find out somebody had taken out the 3/16 dowel that you need and replaced it with a black piece of plastic, then returned the part as unused. luckily there was another on the shelf.

people, i swear. i never thought it could get stupider than the day i was sold a used 99 cent PCV.