IF YOU LOVE YOUR TRUCK... OIL COOLER 911

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As some of you know I have a thread on my S1600 rebuild. Today I decided to finish taking apart my oil cooler after letting them soak up some PB blast. Here is what I found.
You must be registered for see images attach

:puke: All that obstruction was ROCK HARD. I had to use a small screw driver and a plastic hammer to chisel it out. If you intend to do this be careful not to rupture the copper tubing.

Make sure you have new rubber O rings as well as they are bound to be cracked.

Tools I used

As for me I am going to look into a new oil cooler this thing is so corroded around the edge of the lips that I am afraid of compromising my fluids. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

stumiister

Diesel Truck Tech
Reaction score
Looks like the cooler core orings or the core itself is bad, or it is years of neglect, you should reassemle the core with new o-rings put the ends back on and find a way to test it on the bench to make sure it is a good unit before you go through the trouble of putting it on the engine and find out it is bad.

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I have new O rings. I found little bits of brass in there too. I'm Thinking radiator? Yeah I am going to have to try something. I just called my local international dealer and they want $452.54 for a new core. -cuss ***!? Anyone got a connect on these things? I rather have a new one.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
That is a sure sign of neglect. Possibly using the wrong oil for waaay to long?

I'd suspect the little bits of brass are part of the oil cooler, not the rad.

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup that's the inside of an 86 after 27 years. I was born in 86 I hope my insides dont look like that! Got to slow down on the beer... lol. I dont think its oil as much as coolant. The oil pathways look clean. I also dont think the brass came from oil cooler because that is copper. Only thing is the coolant system that is brass is the radiator.

Last edited:

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.9 was like that as well. Used a CBS antenna and rodded it out. Put it back together and no problems for 4 years

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Uhaul has them cheaper than that. You find them listed on ebay under utechcenter. I think I saw one for around $250.00 or there abouts..

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was one on ebay for $100 bucks. But after cleaning mine up it does not look that back I was able to clear all the junk out. The only thing that worries me is that one of the lips is eaten down. I think I will try building it back up with me mig and grinding it back down.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
So are you thinking this is a result of coolant/corrosion/calcification deposits building up? Thanks for posting the pics. Gives guys motivation to keep up on up keep. Wheather it be coolant or oil.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The oil side of that cooler is fine. The coolant travels thru the core tubes and the oil flows around the fins. Clearly the colant or lack of is the reason this cooler bundle looks so bad. Be careful welding up the tabs. Too much heat may damage the bundle wels to the ends and tubes. Also that fit is very close to the heads so look at that before you weld anything.

73idi88f350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
couldn't he just add a nice fat bead of w/e silicone he likes down with the orings. i would do this anyways really.. i like permatex rtv black,copper and silver depends what im working on.