if you had a fuel filter head with a built-in manual primer pump...

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...where would you install it? The filters available for it are 10-micron, 6-micron, and 2-micron, so assuming a 3-stage filtration system in these exact steps which one would you choose to install on said filter head and why? Thanks!

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too and wondering the same thing. I have a 10 micron on the frame and a 5 micron with a clear bowl and primer for the engine bay. I would think the filter housing should be the highest point and have someway to bleed air out of the system unless having the primer or re routing the fuel lines to keep gthe filter head higher than the IP is the way to go. Is my thinking crazy. I havent install the primer filter head because my truck has been down and i just got all my fittings in to delete my factory filter head. I had the same filter setup on my fummins and i loved it.

You are wanting to remove the factory filter head correct?

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine that donated the primer head in question did in fact have the primer higher than the IP. However I would not think this is really necessary, as this primer head does not have an air bleed-off port like factory IDI setups have. My factory 7.3 IDI filter head has its air-bleed port plugged also, I think it's more trouble than it's worth. I haven't yet decided whether to remove the factory IDI filter head or not, that sort of depends on what I do with the primer - the factory 7.3 filter is a 12-micron one, so if the general consensus is the primer should be used with the finest filter (2-micron) there is really no reason for me to remove it, I will instead keep it for its WIF sensor and fuel heater and just plumb the primer after it and before the IP.

I do have a frame rail filter also, it's in a very convenient and safe spot and will remain there. The new primer cannot be used in its place tho, as a) it will be a royal pain to operate the pump there especially in bad weather conditions, and b) the water separator filter that fits said primer is ridiculously expensive while simple filters are very reasonably priced.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just take a look at the local neighborhood Perkins engine. If I can get the cold to work for me, I will take a picture

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online