If there was one thing to do...

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Recent lurker, more so since I bought my 1st Diesel a few weeks ago from the original owner, 118k miles with all maintenance records.

Odd item of note on the truck. When the original glow plugs had to be replaced 10+ years ago, the glow plug controller (probably wrong name) was disconnected. Instead there's a manual switch inside to hold down to turn them on. The owner said they did this to save on the glow plugs cycling on and off which he said was something he disliked and which caused unnecessary wear on the glow plugs. Anyone else heard of or done that?

The truck doesn't really need work done other than some normal maintenance, mostly done now. I just ordered shocks, will get tires soon, and will call it good for now. That said, is there 1 or 2 things you'd seriously consider doing/adding in the next 6-12 months? Fun or practical!

asmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
add some gauges if it doesn't already have them. the temp and oil pressure in the dash are not accurate at all.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
add some gauges if it doesn't already have them. the temp and oil pressure in the dash are not accurate at all.
What he said, although the dash gauges will at least give you a baseline...if they're in one spot, you're okay; if they're not where they should be, you potentially have a problem. Getting "real" water temp and oil pressure gauges are a good idea, although I wouldn't call it an emergency.

If there was one thing I would do on the truck, install a pyrometer! Exhaust temperature can instantly tell you a lot about how your truck's running, and if it's too high, you can take your foot off the accelerator before you do damage to your engine.

Ideally, you want the probe in one of the exhaust manifolds, or as close to the manifold as possible. You're risking melting pistons at 1250 degrees, so keeping it under 1100 to 1150 would be a good idea ;Sweet

By the way, welcome aboard!! ;Sweet

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yes, the original owner already added a Pyro and Transmission temp gauge. He also put a oil pressure gauge under the hood, so can open the hood and see the actual oil pressure... but nothing additional inside, never got around to it he said. Not sure if I can just move the one from under the hood to inside or if I need to replace it or what.

As for coolant temp, yeah the factory one seems to read low, and sometime it will even bounce around. From what I've read I can either put a real sensor in place of the one used for the existing factory one, or I can put it in place of the sensor that is used for the overheat light. I'm thinking the latter, don't care for idiot lights.

The existing to extra gauges are mounted on a decent looking pod on the dash over the heater control area. But I can't find that kind of pod made anymore. Will get a picture posted of it. So it looks like I'll need to add a pillar pod for the oil and engine gauges.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would toss the vacuum brake booster and go with a hydroboost brake system off a similar vintage f-superduty.

The increase in pedal feel is incredible. I actually feel safe trying to stop my truck now. There are dozens of hydroboost threads on here. Do some research on it. If you can get it done, you will wonder why ford didn't do it in the first place.

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Redoing post to get images to work.

Ok, will look into the Hydroboost.

Here's a picture of the 2 gauge pod currently in the truck. I know there used to be a 3 and maybe 4 gauge version, but doesn't look like they're made anymore.

And below that are 3 pictures of the Oil Pressure gauge under the hood.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Congrats ;Sweet I wired my glow plugs the same way and never looked back.

Two things I recommend doing are replacing the injector o-rings and buying a spare throttle cable. I'm surprised at the grief I've had with throttle cables over the years..

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
to completely bypass the controller, do you just route the blue wire off the solenoid to a rounded switch in the cab?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there is a tech article here for manual glow plugs. Gary (icanfixall) always say go electric fuel pump. I am once I get the truck back together. It's a pretty simple, fairly cheap mod that will help deal with pesky air intrusions and make filter changes and the like easier. Tech article for that too. If you haven't already done it, browse the tech articles at the top of the forum. You will quickly see more ideas than you probably have time, money, or inclination to attempt. ;Sweet

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are still 3 dash gauge pods made. Ran into a website recently, but didn't bookmark it. I have one in my 92. Also there is a thread on making one on here, search for it.

Attachments

• DVC01755.JPG
    DVC01755.JPG
    286.6 KB · Views: 54

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
I'm a lead foot, so if it were me, since you already have a turbo, I'd be throwing a bull moose pump on her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigal093