IDI vs powerstroke....need some ammo, please

JesterPgh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't justify payments on a $40,000.00 truck vs. a truck that, by the time I would end up putting 40 grand into it, I would likely be too old to drive anymore.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
I can't justify payments on a $40,000.00 truck vs. a truck that, by the time I would end up putting 40 grand into it, I would likely be too old to drive anymore.

That's the number one point right there. Just gotta ask him how he likes his payments and the higher insurance cost. Powerjokes are a good engine but all engines have their faults.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Gm had many problems with the 2004 motors. My friend lost number 1 glow plug and it wasted the motor. The replacement motor was $1100.00...:eek: At first the dealership on the road offered to split the cost. Even thats still high. So she wrote a letter to GM. Got a vice president to call her back. He gave her his personal cell number and told her that GM would cover all the costs. Turns out the front trans seal let go also and the ac pump went bad same time. She was told this was a bad year for this motor and we knew we had problems. So a new motor and a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty... All free plus a phone number to call anytime... Truck only had around 35,000 miles on it..... Our trucks will be there to tow home all these broken electronic new trucks....:D

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Gm had many problems with the 2004 motors. My friend lost number 1 glow plug and it wasted the motor. The replacement motor was $11,000.00...:eek: At first the dealership on the road offered to split the cost. Even thats still high. So she wrote a letter to GM. Got a vice president to call her back. He gave her his personal cell number and told her that GM would cover all the costs. Turns out the front trans seal let go also and the ac pump went bad same time. She was told this was a bad year for this motor and we knew we had problems. So a new motor and a 5 year 100,000 mile warranty... All free plus a phone number to call anytime... Truck only had around 35,000 miles on it..... Our trucks will be there to tow home all these broken electronic new trucks....:D

There i fixed that for you. I was unaware that the duamaxs had any bad years. They are run like a scalded dog and i have yet to see any problems, And i used to work at a GM dealer

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
a stock 6.7 (2011) 397 HP
a stock 6.4 (2008-10) 350 HP
a stock 6.0 (2005-07) 335 HP
a stock 6.0 (2003-04) 325 HP
a stock 7.3 (6 speed-2000-03) 275 HP
a stock 7.3 (automatic 2000-03) 250HP
a stock 7.3 (early 99) 225 HP
a stock 7.3 PSD(94-97) 225 HP
a stock 7.3 idi turbo 190 hp
a stock 7.3 idi N/A 180 hp

You pick which is best for you.

While every year they got more powerful , they ALL have their own issues

I agree 100% with that! The way I look at it is I wanted a cheap truck that I could drive and haul stuff for cheap.

Who knows, when IDI parts are no longer available, maybe I'll get into a then 15 year old 6.7 scorpion...which may be the IDI of it's time :dunno

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
rule #1......there's nothing you can ever do to change a closed mind. no matter what you "educate" them with, it will never make an impression upon them.
that being said, for your own education, go spend a few days over in the IDI tech articles and the FAQ and you'll OD with facts on the IDI.;Sweet

/\ What he said...but you wanted to shut him up, both engines have advantages and disadvantages, so arguing with him will only make him LOUDER!

Distract...

Redirect...

Bring up something irrelevant...

"Mine's red, what color is yours?"

"sure glad it's not a Cummins, great engine, but they all come wrapped in a Dodge"

"My grandmother got ***** by a little green Alien!"

"Um, well, it's a truck, really, why would I care?"

"You like your Power stroke, don't you? Well good for you! You should be very impressed with yourself!"

"Um, yeah, I quit worrying about that chit by my third birthday :rolleyes:"

"would you like to buy me a Powerstroke?"

I also keep "the look" in my back pocket, you may want to try it in front of the mirror first, but it can be better than anything you could ever say...

-**** head slightly to the right like a curious dog
-Narrow right eye to a squint
-Open left as wide as possible and lift your eyebrow as high as you can

-Optional words include "reeeeeeeeeally" or "well good for you"

Chances are you are going to irritate him and he may talk a little smack behind your back, but remember, you are arguing with a three year old trapped in a mans body, you can't win, so redirect that energy at fixing up the truck or your GF/Wife/Family and you'll be all the better ;Sweet

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
There i fixed that for you. I was unaware that the duamaxs had any bad years. They are run like a scalded dog and i have yet to see any problems, And i used to work at a GM dealer

But they do have good years, I prefer the first few before they got all smogged out, then again they do have updates to make maintnence easier down the road

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Another guy I work with has a '04 Duramax. His wife's truck. Creampuff. Never even towed anything with it. Allison tranny took a dump. This isn't a common problem that I know of, but it was about $6000 to fix.

The early transmissions had issues, mine was replaced at 9,*** miles, but seems to be the same since then, and she's got close to 160k now, autos seem more prone to "transmission ***" also known as unexpected unexplained failure than standard transmissions

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
He sounds insecure :dunno

MY only ***** about an IDI.. is there is a guy I work with, laughs at em and my "old junk ****"..

Which is fine, but I would really like to just flat ass annihilate him with the IDI.. at least a close enough run, that he shuts up.. Gets tiring hearing "why you putting money in that old ****?" everyday...

He runs an 04 Maxipad, chip, KandN, exhaust, 450hp.. maybe?

And I know, my 6.9 or a 7.3 will never show that Maxipad who the daddy is...

Wouldn't trade longevity or reliability for his Maxi though...

And I own my truck, neeener neeener.

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He is... small mans syndrome to the MAX....

37's on 22's.. mud terrain no less, and it WILL NEVER see dirt (his words)...

His wifes camaro.. equally as obnoxious, and it will outrun an Enzo..., ask him.

Again, my truck is paid for , 8 injectors cost what one of his do.... and I am number 1393 of approximately 4000 built ever....

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a stock 6.7 (2011) 397 HP
a stock 6.4 (2008-10) 350 HP
a stock 6.0 (2005-07) 335 HP
a stock 6.0 (2003-04) 325 HP
a stock 7.3 (6 speed-2000-03) 275 HP
a stock 7.3 (automatic 2000-03) 250HP
a stock 7.3 (early 99) 225 HP 235
a stock 7.3 PSD(94-97) 225 HP 215
a stock 7.3 idi turbo 190 hp
a stock 7.3 idi N/A 180 hp 185
stock 6.9 idi n/a 170

Also remember that IDI's had different power ratings for high altitude emissions, whereas a PSD of any sort wasn't affected.

You pick which is best for you.

While every year they got more powerful , they ALL have their own issues

Corrected a few points for you. But you are right, ALL of them have their own issues.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Hah, I used to have a friend like that, always thought he was a cool guy, then he spent 50k on a brand new full size Toyota lifted, same 37s on 22s, extended cab short bed with a hard color matched bed cover :rolleyes: don't get me wrong, it's a nice looking truck, but he was earning $22 an hour :eek: it would take 2 years of after tax dollars to pay for the thing, I think he had a 7 year note :rotflmao

He is... small mans syndrome to the MAX....

37's on 22's.. mud terrain no less, and it WILL NEVER see dirt (his words)...

His wifes camaro.. equally as obnoxious, and it will outrun an Enzo..., ask him.

Again, my truck is paid for , 8 injectors cost what one of his do.... and I am number 1393 of approximately 4000 built ever....

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I understand the irritation but don't play his game. I had a co-worker tell me his neighbors 07 Dmax lifted mud tire dually 4 wheel drive got 24 mpg pulling a 28' 5er. I told him his neighbor was full of **it and that he should be ashamed for being so gullible. Just another insecure "look at me" truck owner who is just out looking to brag on himself.

Unfortunately they are everywhere.

And for the record I know of a few low mile Allison failures. Probably a heat issue like the E4OD but not on the same scale.

New trucks do offer some nice improvements as well. The tow haul mode on the 5r110 transmissions is really well thought out IMO. And although I know they are bad expensive to fix they are very strong compared to the E4OD. I am sure the new 6 speed auto is another big step forward in that direction.

tknomaj

Reaction score
Another guy I work with has a '04 Duramax. His wife's truck. Creampuff. Never even towed anything with it. Allison tranny took a dump. This isn't a common problem that I know of, but it was about $6000 to fix.

Way more common than You think . My local gm dealer keeps SIX IN STOCK so they have them. and GM will not authorize a trans to be rebuilt at the shop only trans in a box . My best friends brother has 04 dura max and and is on his fourth trans .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance