IDI vs. Powerchoke Bellhousing pattern?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Looking at a ZF-5 out of a super duty F-450 with a 7.3 powerchoke. Is that the same bolt pattern as the IDI? It's a model 1317, if that means anything.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bellhousing is the same. input shaft may be a whole other issue. this one may be harder to overcome. If it has the internal slave cylinder, you will need to get the proper line connecting it to the clutch master.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
All I want it for is a mock up. I'll cut the input shaft off with a sawzall or a torch.
I could get by with an empty case, as long as I have a rear yoke and a shifter.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Camarogenius said:
All I want it for is a mock up. I'll cut the input shaft off with a sawzall or a torch.
I could get by with an empty case, as long as I have a rear yoke and a shifter.

huh???!!! cookoo

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Tractor Man,
All I need it for is to be a "dummy". I need it to put in the frame behind the locked up 6.9 I'm buying, so I can build my motor mounts, tranny mounts, install the divorced transfer case, and design my remote shifter.
I'm building an H-1 Replica. I'm going to use the 7.3 and ZF-5 2wd that's in my daily driver. Since I'm figuring on at least one year total build time, by using scrap Iron to build with, I can keep driving my pick up, until the last minute, then when I'm ready for the Tremor to run and drive, I'll pull the engine and tranny out of my pick up and bolt it in.
I doubt that I would actually "cut" the input shaft off of a useable tranny, but I was illustrating the point that I don't care about this ever being a driveable transmission.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
cookoo You cut that input shaft off and I'll personally come down and cut off your output shaft! Tham ZF5's are a bit difficult to find, just don't install a clutch and your mockup should be fine :thumbsup:

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Yeah, I check gov liquidation every now and again. The only body parts I'll have to buy is the hood, which I have, and the kevlar doors, but I don't want to buy 200 doors just to get 4. cookoo
Everything else is covered in the build plans.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I thought they had to destroy all hummer parts.... I';ve seen all the frames cut right in half myself.

tractorman86

Reaction score
Camarogenius said:
Tractor Man,
All I need it for is to be a "dummy". I need it to put in the frame behind the locked up 6.9 I'm buying, so I can build my motor mounts, tranny mounts, install the divorced transfer case, and design my remote shifter.
I'm building an H-1 Replica. I'm going to use the 7.3 and ZF-5 2wd that's in my daily driver. Since I'm figuring on at least one year total build time, by using scrap Iron to build with, I can keep driving my pick up, until the last minute, then when I'm ready for the Tremor to run and drive, I'll pull the engine and tranny out of my pick up and bolt it in.
I doubt that I would actually "cut" the input shaft off of a useable tranny, but I was illustrating the point that I don't care about this ever being a driveable transmission.

:rotflmao oh ok, i thought u'd gone nuts on us cookoo ! i got ya now :D ;Sweet ! sounds like a cool build! is it really cheaper than a real one though?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Oh! Tons cheaper!!! Depending on how good you are at scrounging parts, it could be done for around $5,000 or less. Thus far, mine is still in profit. Meaning I've made more from the stuff I ebayed off of my donor than I've actually spent on the project. The plans are easy to follow, and if you have basic welding and shop skills, anyone can accomplish this project.
You can buy a retired military HMMWV for around 20,000 but you'll have absolutely no options, except a heater, and you'll have to work around a 24v electrical system.
For 20,000 on a tremor, I'll have front and rear heat and air, heated power seats, heated power mirrors, rear view cameras, Satelite navigation, and tons of other toys. :draw Also, You'll have a more reliable off roader than an actuall H-1.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Here's how I figure.
The H-1 is a great design, if you've got the US Military motorpool to fix them when they break, and they do break! Half shafts pop like spaghetti, portals go out for one reason or another, although not as often as the half shafts.
This may not be a big deal for the military, but for a guy out on the trail, it would suck.
Give me a 14 bolt or 10.25" sterling Full floater, and a Dana 44 or 60 front.
You'll have 90% of the off road capability, and alot more reliability, and when something does break, parts are a whole lot cheaper! also add in better manners on the road, and I think what I'm building is a better vehicle than the H-1.

sassyrel

Reaction score
camoro--hmmmm-cool--but still a few bucks for something like that--

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Yeah, but alot of that depens on how good of a scrounge you are. I've seen a couple built for less than 6,000

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle