IDI to PSD swap

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I cannot use a PS rad as I had originally planned. I need to use the (Small IDI rad about 23 3/4 x 31 1/8) for my conversion so that I can utilize the PS intercooler I latched onto.

Thanks for the offer though.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will need every bit of wireing from the PSD right down to the headlight harness.you will also need to cut 2 holes in the firewall.you need a round hole for the main connector,i believe that connector was squareish shaped on the 86.you will also need to cut a rectangular hole for the PCM.dont forget about the IDM,looks like a PCM bolted to the drivers fender.do yourself a favor and hack up the firewall and install a 3" down pipe while the motor and tranny are out.you will save alot of headaches that way.stock fuel pump is fine.unless you wanna spend 800.00 for an electric fuel system from www.beansdieselperformance.com .

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why not switch to a 4" downpipe is that to much?

firegod how do you plan on making the speedo and other things work, you using the differential from the rolled truck on your 86? i was thinking about doing a psd swap into my 84 but opted not to because i like the 84 interior better then the 94-97, or did you plan to put the interior from the newer truck into your 86?

firegod33

Reaction score
Sorry for the lack of replies, guys. I haven't been recieving email notifications.
I like the '80-'86 interior better than the '92-'96, too. However, I'm going to use the '95 dash and guages in the '86 to make the wiring easier. I haven't looked at it in a while, but if I remember right, there is a tone ring on the back of the t-case, rather than in the rear axle. I'll have to look again.
I haven't really had time to do any work since I stripped the front clip off. All I've gotten done is to pull the front seats out of both trucks. I need to get back after it.

strokin'_tatsc

First On Race Days
Reaction score
where are you going to mount the PCM? the PCM on the psd's are behind the E-brake assymbly. are you going to be able to mount it in the same place in the '86? i was going to do a conversion similar to this except it was going to be a psd going into a '94 7.3 turbo IDI. i opted against the project since i don't have time to do it. i'm interested in your conversion and i will be watching closely.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
I'd like to ask would this project be easier to install a 94-97 Powerstroke in place of a 93 IDI? I ask because the body style on the trucks are the same & the frontend is setup for a Diesel already. Also would you need a diffrent tranny or could you just change the bell houseing?