IDI or powerstroke

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys. im tradin my 24 valve, as i keep talkin about, but im not sure which truck to get yet. i can trade for a 94 IDI D60 with 201k and a 4 inch lift, and rebuilt e4od. or a 95 powerstroke f250 TTB with 199k and a plow. or i can trade for a 95 powerstroke D60 E4OD with a plow auto, in better shape and a little nicer with 235k same mileage as my truck. i dont know what to do here or which way to go, IDI or stroke. but im leanin toward a one ton so i dont have to do the D60 swap anybodys input would be appreciated

johneich

John, 1983 F250
Reaction score
Any Powerstroke will leave you on the side of the road if something like a cam sensor becomes inoperable, IDIs have no such sensors, I hope this helps.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Any Powerstroke will leave you on the side of the road if something like a cam sensor becomes inoperable, IDIs have no such sensors, I hope this helps.

Come on. a $30 dollar part that takes less than 5 min to change is a deciding factor?cookoo

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score

IF such a failure ever occurs. About the same odds as an injection pump on your IDI failing. Both leaving you with a long walk.

Now, to the OP:
>The PSD is a little more complex with its various sensors versus the simplicity of the IDI. But seeing as you own a 24v, that shouldn't be too far out of your league.
>Parts are a little more expensive as well. But steadily on the decline with the newer models on the market.
>On the other hand, there is much greater power potential with the PSD.

Oh and if you don't like fiddling with your timing a whole lot, that is a factor you won't have to worry about in your PSD compared to IDI.

Overall, if you want a dirt cheap diesel that is stupid simple go with the IDI. If you want the same reliability with a bit more power and aftermarket support then pick the PSD.

Just my $.02

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
hey guys. im tradin my 24 valve, as i keep talkin about, but im not sure which truck to get yet. i can trade for a 94 IDI D60 with 201k and a 4 inch lift, and rebuilt e4od. or a 95 powerstroke f250 TTB with 199k and a plow. or i can trade for a 95 powerstroke D60 E4OD with a plow auto, in better shape and a little nicer with 235k same mileage as my truck. i dont know what to do here or which way to go, IDI or stroke. but im leanin toward a one ton so i dont have to do the D60 swap anybodys input would be appreciated

You are going to get a biased opinion(towards the idi) on this forum, being this is an IDI forum.

I personally after owning 3 IDIs and 6 powerstrokes, will own only powerstrokes from now on. (just wish 80-86 were made w powerstrokes-cuss)

but It all comes down to what suits YOUR needs. What do you use the truck for?

Now.

The 1st truck you listed 94 IDI F350 201k 4" lift and rebuilt trans. Not a bad truck, but not a power house. (you didnt mention turbo) But i still dont like E4ODs

2nd truck 95 F250 PSD 199k and a plow. Again, not a bad truck, but do you need the plow? Plows are ******* TTB. Auto or stick?

3rd 95 F350 PSD 235k E4OD and plow . Another decent truck but i dislike the E4OD.

Now, the plow trucks have probably more rust then the non plow trucks, just because they are out in the worst weather and they are harder on a truck.

badaceds650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerstroke all day long a d60 swap is way cheaper and easier then making you idi have anything close to power of the PS

Silver Burner

Burnin' Oil&Rubber
Reaction score
I would imagine the 94 IDI is going to be a factory turbo and based on what you've said, that would be the way I'd go. It'll probably feel like a dog compared to your cummins 24V, but it's probably a dang fine truck. I very nearly bought a super cherry 96 PS crew, but it had 250K on it and absolutely zero records, so I just couldn't do it. Only wanted 6500 for it though and it looked like new. Ended up with a truck that doesn't look so much like new, but had tons of records and upgrades and maintenance. Paid less and got piece of mind.

RyanDamo

1 IDI 2 Strokes
Reaction score
let me know once you choose, im in CT as well can can help with either motor

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I'm a fan of the powerstroke and have owned several. Admittadley I have more problems with IDI's than the PSD. But with the economy so unstable, I've gone back to IDI's for the cheap parts and simplicity. IDIs are more 'economy proof' to me. Not real powerhouses. If your used to a 24V cummins, an IDI will feel like a snail. It's gonna depend on your intended use for it.

Both the PSD's have plows, and 199k - 235k. I'd keep the cummins over them. That IDI though sounds pretty sweet, I'd be interested in some pics

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If you like the electrical engines then the psd is your best bet but.... If you don't care for removing the valve covers to reach the glow plugs or injectors then don't go with the psd... They do have the power advantage but at a cost in parts and ease of repairs... Our simple idi engies have everything right there looking at you. No problem changing an injector on the raod side... Like that ever happens... non the less its all so much easier to work on... A friend has the f350 dually 4x4 crewcab with the twin factory turbos... A senser went bad and the part price was $178.00 but.... The labor charge was $1850.00 to install it.... Most of the equiptment on top of the engine needed to be removed along with both turbos... Thats about a day day sucker right there... Probably a 8 to 10 hour job... She sure has a nice looking and running truck but at a cost... She has already had the injector problems that were covered under the recall... She actually asked me how I knew she had that issue because it was before I ever met her....:angel: I suppose I may have been more into the psd trucks had I started there first... But here is where I feel the help is needed and the ease at fixing these trucks can't be beat anywhere... Al these engines need to fire up is around 9 volts to the shut off solenoid and if you make that a mechanical shutoff your only needing a bump start... Then it will run as long as you feed it fuel... No electronics required to run a simple idi or meahanical diesel engine... The true doomsday truck....:thumbsup::hail:angel:

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
If you like the electrical engines then the psd is your best bet but.... If you don't care for removing the valve covers to reach the glow plugs or injectors then don't go with the psd... They do have the power advantage but at a cost in parts and ease of repairs... Our simple idi engies have everything right there looking at you. No problem changing an injector on the raod side... Like that ever happens... non the less its all so much easier to work on... A friend has the f350 dually 4x4 crewcab with the twin factory turbos... A senser went bad and the part price was $178.00 but.... The labor charge was $1850.00 to install it.... Most of the equiptment on top of the engine needed to be removed along with both turbos... Thats about a day day sucker right there... Probably a 8 to 10 hour job... She sure has a nice looking and running truck but at a cost... She has already had the injector problems that were covered under the recall... She actually asked me how I knew she had that issue because it was before I ever met her....:angel: I suppose I may have been more into the psd trucks had I started there first... But here is where I feel the help is needed and the ease at fixing these trucks can't be beat anywhere... Al these engines need to fire up is around 9 volts to the shut off solenoid and if you make that a mechanical shutoff your only needing a bump start... Then it will run as long as you feed it fuel... No electronics required to run a simple idi or meahanical diesel engine... The true doomsday truck....:thumbsup::hail:angel:

That may be true in the newer diesels (2008+), but we are talking the OBS powerstrokes. Which are oddly easier to pull valve covers on than our trucks (to me anyway). Not NEARLY as expensive either. RUNNING engines on my local CL for $800 and up. :D

Now as far as a doomsday truck...if you started from scratch and wired out every switch/solenoid known to man (FSS, NSS) then I could see it. But honestly I want something bigger than my pickup personally...Deuce and half anyone? LOL

EDIT: Shocking, those are going for 1-2k in my area. :eek:

Last edited:

BleednBlue68

Ford Country!
Reaction score
I've never owned an IDI, I did almost buy one but the truck kept havin issues, mainly with the drive train. I didnt get it of course. I do like the simplicity of them though. BUT, thats probably about the only good thing about them. They are down on power compared to a stroker. Only prob I have ever had with my 99 PSD is the AIH relay stuck open and drained my batteries. Simple fix, just remove the AIH. Agreed, PSD parts are more expensive and the engines are more complicated. The aftermarket has a good hold on them and you can buy whatever you want for them for a pretty penny. A plow on ANY truck will cause probs eventually. But the Fords are built wayyy better than any other truck in my opinion. Built Ford Tough!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
asking which diesel truck to buy (IDI vs PSD DI) in the IDI section is like walking into a ***** bar,and asking the guys at the bar if they prefer women in bikinis or *******.
your bound to get a few biased opinions.:D

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, the powerstroke with 235k has no rust really, neither does the IDI but im not really into the whole TTB suspension on the 250 with 199k. even with the plow, still not into it. im gonna go check out both trucks this week and let you know how it goes. and ryandamo ill definetly let you know if i need help. thanks for all the help. but can i expect the 7.3 with 235k to last me another 100k? for the most part or the IDI with 201k?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk