IDI mods

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive made my choice on gettin an IDI diesel. im gettin a 94 either way, ones got a zf5 and the others got the e4od. i want to do a moose pump, moose injectors and a turbo kit I/C. both are 350's so the d60 is all ready to go. im wondering what turbo kit to get and how the I/C would work, and if i should add any mods to the list, other than the oversize tranny cooler im puttin on for the e4od;Sweet

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nah theyre both n/a lol just my luck. but at least i can throw on an aftermarket without the stupid crushed downpipe. my buddy just told me about the soup bowl mod too.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
oh boy.there's quite a few.
i did this one,and highly recommend you toss it on your list for starters;
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17484

p.s.
there is just enough room to run the stock setup without modding in another short fan,i did it.
though it makes the job so much harder,id follow the advice given there if i had to do it again lol.

if i override my fan controller so the fans remain on.i can achieve under the IDI's normal operating temp (195-237*F) WITH my plow on.;) i don't do that,as it's poor for fuel economy of course,but i did a few times to test it. can bring her right down to around 185 or so inside 5 minutes.way too cool for max performance and economy out of the idi.

too many people think the colder the better.this just isn't so.
there's a reason you bring the engine up to normal operating temp before adjusting the timing.
its to insure a complete burn.this doesn't happen until that T-stat starts to open.;)

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
less draw off the engine = increase in power and economy.
my stock fan didn't even lock up (which was fine all summer) and when i took off down the road with the plow on,i had to be real careful! she would have overheated real quick.
well rather than grab another stock,power hungry fan clutch to fix the problem,i had that mod planned anyway,so i went with it.
the guys say when the stock fan locks up you feel it rob power!
some estimated 20-32 hp loss at the rear wheels!
i wanted no part of that.;)
when my e-fans turn on,there's no way i can tell.i feel nothing.
if im curious,i'll turn them on/off to watch my volt gauge to see if swings or i'll have to pull over and walk up front so i can hear 'em.the only way i know if they're on or not.

to top it off?
even without a locking fan clutch,ditching that fan made taking off from a stop easier.felt like i lightened the truck by a good 1k lbs.no bs.
if you want to check it out sometime to see for yourself,just remove the fan and go for a drive (once you've gotten used to the engine with it on for a while.) just don't drive far from home for the test of course and put it right back on so you don't over heat the engine.
you'll feel it.
freeing up whats already there is just as good as mod's that add it.:)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online