idi lift pump leak

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I posted before about my lift pump leaking and replacing it the previous owner has an electric pump installed by the fuel filter but the fuel line is still going into the lift pump below would I be better using this e pump and sealing off the old mechanical pump or should I just replace the mechanical pump the e pumps wired in with a on off switch but they cut the wires?

w123suv

Reaction score
I've debated this a lot too but I always come back to the idea of mechanical pump failure causing engine damage. I tried using a brand new mechanical pump to move WVO and it just couldn't handle it. ( not too mention plumbing was a nightmare)

I would vote for going electric. I like to keep things simple but installing an e-pump really isn't all that complicated. I carry a mechanical pump with me for backup. Makes me feel better but I've never needed it.

Don't know what type of E- pump is on there or if it is working but moving it underneath closer to the tank is probably a good idea.

Ultimately it's really up to you and your personal preference. A mechanical pump could be a good cheap fix until you have time and money for the upgrade to electric.

As long as you have an electric pump wired correctly it makes for nice quick starts. Which is great when it's cold and easy on the starter/ batteries.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went out tonight and try to start it it wanted to start on the second try cranking but it died off because of I got some air in there but I would really like to do the electric field to help save my batteries as they are dead now

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What ever you do, don't run the e-pump through the mechanical pump. If the diaphram breaks in the mechanical pump, it will fill the crank case with fuel. Its just counter productive. By-pass the mechanical pump and block off the hole. There is a good write-up in the tech articles about doing this.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
when I looked at everything the previous owner did rig up an electric fuel pump into the mechanical fuel pump. I have been reading up on how to install an electric fuel pump I am nowhere near a mechanic lol do landscaping work but it seems like the electric fuel pump would be easier to installdo you have to watch taking the old lift pump out Can that arm break on you when you take it out?

w123suv

Reaction score
Not likely the arm is going to break. You would have to be very rough with it for that to happen. I don't think this job requires a whole lot of mechanical skills. Getting the electric pump to put out the correct psi and wiring it correctly are the only technical parts.

I made a mistake when I first installed an electric pump by wiring it into a hot while running circuit but was not hot when strarting. So for however many seconds the started was cranking the pump was not on. It took a cold not start situation for me to finally realize the problem.

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
? I am still really debating I guess the one thing that has me leaning towards the electric is the installation of the mechanical if you do not have the cam in the right position

w123suv

Reaction score
Mechanical wins for simplicity and cost. I Wouldn't worry to much about messing up the arm. If you are worried about it you are going to be paying attention so you're are good. The hardest part is getting the bolts started / tightened. I was worried too so I used a mirror and a flashlight after I took the pump out to see what and where the cam was. As long as you keep the arm angled down while you are fitting the new pump you will not have a problem. Remember to buy a gasket. Good luck.

Priming is hard with a mechanical pump. Might be worth taking the filter off and filling it up to speed up the process. On that note... If you can get it started it would be a good idea to warm it up change the pump and get it started again while its still warm

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! For a snow plow truck will the electric fuel make it start better in the cold? I also heard with e fuel the air intrusion is not a worry

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most people that make the switch don't regret it. Like I said, the directions are pretty simple.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Depends on the pump.
Some like to push fuel, some like to pull it.
Switched aroumd, can ruin a pump real quick.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I decided to go with a mech pump again since it's only for work and we'll not sure how much life the trucks got left...that said what's my best bet brand wise on a mech pump w

ericwade381

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this guy's what I'm looking for the machine surface on the bottom of the opening where the lift pump goes? Also where is the best position to take the old one off through the fender under neath or from the top thanks!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online