IDI Headstud Part Numbers

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The bulk 7 inch studs for the 7.3 are
AR 7.000-1LB
Nuts are ARN 12-1
Washers are ARW 78 N
I don't have the numbers for the actual kit they make for our 7.3 idi engine. I recall the stud length was 6.75 inches or really close to that...

wmoguy

Reaction score
I'm curious, these longer "bulk studs" could they safely be cut down w/o the risk of being heated up and damaging them

wmoguy

Reaction score
they dont need to be cut.

right, isn't there like very minimal clearances with those bulk studs? My worry is my heads have been shaved. Not shaved in the sense of how it's typically used, by they were trimmed to make sure we had a nice flat surface before reinstalling. I'd hate to have it tore apart to put in these bulk studs only to find out I have a clearance issue because my geometry has changed slightly

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only place they even come close is the rocker locating bridge, if the block threads are clean and the studs all the way in, the most would be sanding off like 2 threads, and it has to come off the top because the stud shank bottoms in the recess in the block.

wmoguy

Reaction score
The only place they even come close is the rocker locating bridge, if the block threads are clean and the studs all the way in, the most would be sanding off like 2 threads, and it has to come off the top because the stud shank bottoms in the recess in the block.

thx Russ. What is the $$ on these bulk studs from you again? You can PM me the price if you prefer

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
checked yesterday, 410.00 with 6pt nuts.

wmoguy

Reaction score
checked yesterday, 410.00 with 6pt nuts.

k thx. and readily available? I'll ping ya when I get back from this huntin trip to order.

Question: in your experience, you think I could get away with installing 1 stud at a time w/ the heads on and motor in the truck?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
34 studs per engine.. Replacing one head bolt with a stud has been done and no issues but. Its not the correct way of doing it. Think of all the stress on the head plus you will have many clearance issues leaving the engine in the truck. I know what its like to work alone pulling or installing these engines. I work alone all the time. I installed and removed my engine 5 times one day. The torque converter pilot was interfering with the crank spacer. I opened it up 1 1/2 thousands then it fit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online