IDI as a stationary power unit.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I had enough trouble keeping an IDI cool in a truck yet alone stationary. Might be ok with a solid fan mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shoot, if it's stationary, you could run 60' of 3/4" fin pipe for hot water heating as a supplemental radiator. Cut it into 3' lengths and put it on the heater core loop in front of the radiator so the fan pulls air through it.

It'd be redneck as it gets, but I imagine you'd struggle to even get it to operating temperature! LOL

FordGuy100

Reaction score
A 6.9 is rated at 318 ft lbs at 1400 RPM's from the factory. This equates to 85 hp. If you use it in 3rd gear at ~900 RPM's, it might be below the 65 hp. If its going to live its life there, a small T3 turbo might be the ticket, as you won't run into any problems with the higher RPM causing excessive exhaust back pressure.

Edit* at 900 RPM's, you need to make 380 ft lbs to make 65 hp. A stock IDI won't do this, you will need to look at adding some power down low via fuel and boost. Cooling shouldn't be an issue, you can run as large of a radiator as you would like.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engine would be most volumetriclly efficient at torque peak, so it will use the least amount of fuel per hp at 1400 rpms.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
The engine would be most volumetriclly efficient at torque peak, so it will use the least amount of fuel per hp at 1400 rpms.

The problem is he needs 500 RPM output shaft speed. I suppose a T19 in 2nd is your closest option, as its 3.03:1. Engine would be at 1515 RPM's for 500 output RPM

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
:popcorn

Overkill is just an opinion.
Overkill is just about right!:rock:
I had enough trouble keeping an IDI cool in a truck yet alone stationary.
I'm betting that with no more RPM than it would have to turn and no more work load than would be on it, there wouldn't be much of a cooling issue. The engine would also lose heat to the atmosphere quicker since it wouldn't be inside a steel box (engine compartment).

Runningaford

Reaction score
Sweet! I've got a Lucas mill; nothing like turning a log into something more valuable. Please post up some build/retrofit pics.

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to run a sawmill like this nearly 25 years ago .... had an 80hp ford 5000 diesel on it. The biggest problem we had with it was the radiator kept on getting blocked up fines from the sawdust.
We always wondered how an aircooled deutz diesel would have done in place of the old ford.

You must be registered for see images attach

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I used to run a sawmill like this nearly 25 years ago .... had an 80hp ford 5000 diesel on it. The biggest problem we had with it was the radiator kept on getting blocked up fines from the sawdust.
We always wondered how an aircooled deutz diesel would have done in place of the old ford.

You must be registered for see images attach

I had Deutz diesel's overheat on hay balers due to dust, had to blow them off a few times a day so they stayed cool.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online