IDI as a stationary power unit.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Has anyone used an IDI for a stationary power plant? I may be getting a saw mill that's powered by a 65 hp V4 Wisconsin. Problem is, the engine drives the mill off of the operators side currently via belt drive and you have to walk around it to move the cut boards.

My thought is to put an IDI with a T19 mounted in a truck frame on the back side of the mill and connect it with a drive shaft. 1st gear in the T19 and about 2600 rpm will get me the 500 rpm shaft speed I'm looking for. Anybody use an IDI in a similar application?

If things go well, I may be repowering a wood chipper with an IDI as well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder what the BFPG (BOard Feet per Gallon) will be?

My only thought is it may be pretty thirsty at that rpm. Guess it depends on how hard it’s working. Would you need some type of governor to adjust for load?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'm not sure how a standard automotive style pump would react. 2nd gear would put me at about 1600rpm, should be attainable.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I think it would work fine. You may overpower your sawmill though. Even a stock 6.9 will have quite a bit more power and torque than a 65 horse Wisconsin.
A humorous story about stationary power plants. There was a guy working at the machine shop that we used to use when I was in the business. He was a BIG TIME Chevy guy. I took a load of parts to drop off there and there was a big block Chevy sitting inside the door that had been used to power an irrigation pump. This guy happened to be the one to unload the parts, so I asked him if it was a 454. He proudly said that, no, it's a 427! I looked at him and said really? That's too bad. What a waste of a perfectly good irrigation pump! Needless to say, he didn't talk to me for a while!LOL

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I wonder what the BFPG (BOard Feet per Gallon) will be?

My only thought is it may be pretty thirsty at that rpm. Guess it depends on how hard it’s working. Would you need some type of governor to adjust for load?
I guess that if it used too much fuel, he could try another gear. He could also turn up the idle speed some and may not need a governor. I doubt that it would bog down an IDI much.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No need to change anything with the pump, the governor is set up the very similar between equipment and auto aps for the db2, with just the ag pumps being limited to a smaller plunger size and/or looser governor spring limiting maximum rpms. Use a cable to pull the engine up to the rpm you want, engage load. you may drop 200 rpms with a heavy load, but the pump will add fuel to keep the flyweights at the same velocity under load keeping you at the same rpm until the engine cannot make enough power to sustain it, but since the mill is designed for 85hp, I doubt it will ever happen.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly with the amount of torque an IDI has, I'd probably run it in 3rd That'd be running ~900 RPM, right there a little above high idle.

If it bogs down too much, just adjust the min-max screw at the back of the pump in a bit, then back down the throttle until you get your 900 RPM again.\
It'll probably be 'good enough', with probably 3x the torque of the original motor.

---

Personally, I'm planning to use an IDI to power a Bobcat skidsteer - it's 2x the stock power, but the difference in engine cost($3-5K for replacement JD 4-cyl, $100-250 for IDI) will pay for a lot of fuel.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Honestly with the amount of torque an IDI has, I'd probably run it in 3rd That'd be running ~900 RPM, right there a little above high idle.

If it bogs down too much, just adjust the min-max screw at the back of the pump in a bit, then back down the throttle until you get your 900 RPM again.\
It'll probably be 'good enough', with probably 3x the torque of the original motor.

---

Personally, I'm planning to use an IDI to power a Bobcat skidsteer - it's 2x the stock power, but the difference in engine cost($3-5K for replacement JD 4-cyl, $100-250 for IDI) will pay for a lot of fuel.
That's where I'm at. I have a chipper that housed a Perkins diesel. I'm thinking an IDI with an SAE adapter plate should do well. Yes, they will be overpowered for the application but you will have no problem running them NA and fuel economy shouldn't be bad with such a light load. I'd bet it would use less fuel than the Wisconsin uses.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
I thought about powering an off-grid generator, but for most needs it is way overkill. You could probably power a 100 KW generator with it! Enough for a small town.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I think I'd be finding a pre-97 2.0 or 2.3 powered 2wd ranger to power it.
Around here you can find them under $500 running and driving, not the prettiest at this point in their life, but for what you're doing, it wouldn't matter.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had enough trouble keeping an IDI cool in a truck yet alone stationary. Might be ok with a solid fan mount.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk