I wonder what Valvoline does different?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has always consumed more oil than I would like. Delvac,Delo,Supertech etc and it burns about a qt in every 400-600 miles.

Last time napa had oil on sale so I bought the Napa oil which is made by Valvoline.

Oil usage has been cut in 1/2 up to 1000+ miles per qt! Wonder what the difference is?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

lubes are manufactured in batches, discount lubes are never worth the time of day, but people march on wondering why discount lubes do not perform the same as top shelf lubes. keep on guessing.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck has always consumed more oil than I would like. Delvac,Delo,Supertech etc and it burns about a qt in every 400-600 miles.

Last time napa had oil on sale so I bought the Napa oil which is made by Valvoline.

Oil usage has been cut in 1/2 up to 1000+ miles per qt! Wonder what the difference is?

Did you fill to the same level with the Valvoline? If I fill my truck up all the way it burns through the first quart (halfway down the hashmark) fairly quickly, then consumption slows way down.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine does not seem to care where it is on the stick.it uses the same regardless.it was on full and now is about 1/3 up from add after 1000+ miles.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Funny you mention that. Guy I bought my wife's Honda from always used valvoline. So I kept using it also. It has over 240,000 miles on it now and has developed a small oil leak, I think its the rear main. For some reason I decided to use some other oil they had on sale, and the oil leak was terrible. I started pouring in that leak sealer stuff and it did help slow it down, but later on I put two and two together and thought the oil type may be the culprit for the bigger leak. I went back to valvoline and while the oil leak is still there, it has slowed way back down to where it's just a nuisance.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you fill to the same level with the Valvoline? If I fill my truck up all the way it burns through the first quart (halfway down the hashmark) fairly quickly, then consumption slows way down.

all these idi engines are this way.iv long since stopped wasting oil trying to keep that quart in.it isn't worth it.far more oil than needed in there anyway lol.

austin92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a jeep Comanche that would leak a quart of oil the first time I drove it after an oil change then stay a quart low for 3000 miles lol. I've always used valvoline and Lucas oil stabilizer except when I got my idi, I did my first oil change with motor craft 15-40 diesel oil because I couldn't find 15-40 in valvoline. Getting ready to do next oil change and I found diesel specific valvoline, curious if the small leak in my ford slows up or gets worse changing oil types

1983 f350 6.9 zf5 2wd srw single cab long bed. Facet duralift, optima red tops, bfg all terrains, 4" exhaust from y pipe back, autometer z series pyro, pump turned up 2 flats

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I think how well the oil can be turned to vapor might have something to do with it. The crankcase vent on these engines sure carries a lot of oil vapor with blow by gasses.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
A former member from here says the cdr has nothing to do with oil consumption.... lol
The valvoline blue is good oil. They also have a synthetic version called premium blue.
I've been running tractor supply oil in my psd with the mobil 1 filter. Thing loves it.
Next change think I'll be switching to LE synthetic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The first thing I changed was the CD-R. Made zero difference

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We went on a short trip yesterday pulling a trailer. I'm into this quart 1200 miles.ill check it tomorrow in my usual spot.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1350 miles and it's still above add.looks about 4 X's above add.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is a well accepted fact that the Delo 400 works better than the Rotella-T on oil thirsty engines. Perhaps the Valvoline is even better. Here at my shop, we are big fans of the Brad Penn HD Select. That's the brand I researched when I decided to sell it. Visited the factory in Bradford PA and even stuck my finger in crude oil as it came out of a well in the middle of the woods near the plant. It's good stuff. I definitely like the CI rated oil better than the CJ rated oils.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online