i want to smoke!!

onetonride

onetonride
Reaction score
so i have a new hypermax turbo set up with straight pipe exhaust...new injectors... i dont get any smoke ....anyone have any hints to make my truck come alive when i step into it??? im talking black clouds spewing out!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Turn your pump up, there solved, you should now be able to roal coal ;Sweet

Others will chime in about how they think its stupid for people to want to blow black smoke. I kinda like it, and do it sometimes....but really its your truck and its your money thats going to go into paying for more fuel LOL.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
justin pegged it. I have the hypermax on mine and went up two flats, now it smokes a little when Im on the throttle, I could go more but think that I need injectors and a (moose)pump. It is pretty easy to up the pump, just make sure you have a pyrometer installed.

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much I turned up my pump (WAY more than two flats though) and it just pours out coal until the non wastegated turbo spools up and then it is just slight haze unless uphill thin a bit more haze. BTW the turbo lag on my truck is huge!!! When on the freeway at 65MPH@2400 RPM's it is at .5psi boost then when you floor it it takes about 3-5 seconds to get up to around 9psi. I don't know about my egt's though :eek: the damn pyro broke and I cannot find a thermocouple that fits the existing housing, everyone I get is WAY too small for this thing (BTW if anyone can help me out with this PLEASE do!).

Also my truck does not "come alive" when I mash on it, it is just a large steady push, no surge like the PSD's:puke:.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
my truck is the same on the lag but the highest i have seen on boost is 7 psi. I think I need to seal the hold down bolt that goes into the intake (where the air cleaner used to be before the hypermax) I know that I am not running at peak but I just dont have the money to start changing everything, It runs decent and gets me back and forth to work so I can pay the bills ( it did pull a 13k pound trailer and truck rig from florida so I cant complain too damn much lol!)

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Sounds like the Hypermax operates quite a bit differently from my old non-wastegated Banks. Tooling along at 60 mph and 2000 RPMs I see about 2-3 psi unless I'm hauling weight or going uphill and start mashing on it. Then it will build up to around 5 psi.

If I'm really hauling heavy or even hauling a meduim load AND going uphill when I mash on it it will get up into the 8-9 psi range by the time it maxes out at around 3000 RPMs in around 5-10 seconds.

Unfortunately, at that point the EGTs (measured right at the turbo housing inlet) will climb up to around 1100-1150 degrees (Banks recommended max is 1150 degrees) and I have to start letting up on the throttle to keep the EGTs under control.

I only see black smoke when I'm lugging it hard and mash on it - and that is just the way I want it. Fuel is too expensive for me to be blowing it unburned out the tailpipe in ********* clouds.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Yep turning up your injection pump will increase the power output and until the turbo spools up it will smoke. The optimal thing is to have her roll some smoke until the turbo lites up then just a small faint amount of smoke because this means that you are burning the fuel in the chamber getting the bang for your buck.

Do you need instructions on turning up the fuel? if so just post back and we can toss them out for ya.

Me I like to roll smoke when I want to I don't do it very often now days with the price of fuel but from time to time I do it playing around.

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
A good start when looking for info is to do a search (top of the page). If you do you will see how many of us do think to highly of blowing smoke....but some of us are old and fuddy duddies and I am mostly just cheap and dont see the point....

Good Luck with the Hypermax...

Thad

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good start when looking for info is to do a search (top of the page). If you do you will see how many of us do think to highly of blowing smoke....but some of us are old and fuddy duddies and I am mostly just cheap and dont see the point....

Good Luck with the Hypermax...

Thad

Yep, old fuddy duddy here. To me rolling black smoke is like lighting up your tires. It may look impressive, but it costs money.

If you've got it to burn, then I say have at 'er - I'll keep investing as much of mine as I can towards an early retirement ;)

tractorman86

Reaction score
i roll smoke prettymuch everywhere i go, not on purpose though, the timing is too far adv. i think and pump is up a flat. i dont mind though, i am burning about 75%+ waste oil so it is still cheeper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online