I want to run 99 and up SD hub caps on our 96 OBS, But…

Reaction score
I really like the way these Super Duty hub caps look on these older rims. I hate the ones that came stock on our 96. What I do not understand is why does the newer metric lug pattern on the SD rims not fit but the hub caps fit perfect? Anyhoo, The problem is with the rear hubs. They stick out too far for the SD hub caps to work. They actually stick out a little over an inch and a quarter too far. Why do the hubs on the older Sterlings stick out that much further than the ones slung under the 99 and up SD’s? Or, are there some other differences that I am not seeing? Can I simply cut the hub and re-drill the bolt holes for the axle flange? Is there a difference in the spindles as well? Other than the different lug pattern can I take a hub off of a later model Sterling and install it on ours? Are the axle shafts any shorter as well? What do you all think?

You must be registered for see images attach

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
from what I know the axle is basically different, the hubs are different and the shafts are different.
you could get a spacer and go from 8x6.5 to 8x170, but then you would need new wehhls.

Reaction score
I did think about switching to the newer lug pattern on the front and rear. But that is not going to work for us now. What is different. Are the hubs thorter on the newer rear ends? What is different about the axle shafts?

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the rear axle on the 99-up is wider, as well as the axle shafts. your best bet is to run a 2"spacer for the rim on the rear, not only will it let the center cap work, but it will make the wheel look so much better in the wheelwell. also the centercaps are held in place by metal clips that clip over the lug nuts, they have enough movement to allow it to work on the different bolt pattern.

Reaction score
I am a little concerned about using wheel spacers. We use this truck to pull our bumber pull flat bed trailer. Are wheel spacers a good idea when hauling?

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I had 1.5" spacers on the rear of my 96 cc. with 350hp at the wheels I never had any problem with them, didnt tow a lot with them though.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have seen a lot of guys who use there duallys offroad use spacers between there tires. they say it helps keep rocks and other things from getting wedged between there tires and blowing out the sidewalls. and they haul plenty more then they are supposed to. i wouldnt give a seconds thought about wheel spacers while towing, as long qas they are installed correctly, they will be just fine.