i shed a tear today

Nicp

WAR PIG
Reaction score
To day at 430 pm on my way to work the ol war pig gave up life. It started smoking white grey black blue and just stopped. Locked up tight as possible. So now am on the hunt for a 6.9 so my beloved war pig will be back in my life. So what do u guy think would be best way to build a 6.9 for towing and daily driving . I know studs for sure and head gaskets and check lower end. But any more ideas ?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Cam, pump, and injectors.
You should disassemble yours to see what exactly happened.
I'm betting cavitation, busted wall, or headgasket.

Is it turbo'd?

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your troubles, I have been down this road and it is disheartening. My first thought was the knowledge that can be gained by dissecting it, 79' was right there with me on that one. Good luck, a nice new painted engine isn't a terrible thing to put in your truck.:sly

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats a sad story for sure. Did you have any indications something was amiss before all the smoke. Locking up is a serious issue. Might just be a cylinder filled with coolant. But it could be a bend rod or a broken crank. But all this is a wag.. I really don't feel cavation is a possibility on a 6.9. I read you signiture so thats why I think your running a 6.9 engine and not a 7.3. Best of luck finding a ok 6.9 engines too. Moose products and a typ4 cam. I have a couple of new oil pumps I got as spares way back when. If you want one of them figure out what a new one costs and pm me what you will pay for it. Please change the cam gear too if your has the two drilled and tapped holes in it... Those were known to cause rotational vibration in the engines. The new gears have no drilled holes and they have a large balanceing lug made in the back of them..

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
If you need help going to pick anything up, let me know. Or if you're just in the market for a replacement truck, I have one of those, too. I'm up in Jacksonville.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turbo
Moose Pump
Injectors
Studs
"typ4" torque cam
Intercooler

This combination has impressed me when hauling my 32 foot fifth wheel up and down the hills of Kentucky.

Heath