I need input on what to do next...

FrozenRedneck

Reaction score
1991 NA 7.3, unknown miles. Was smoking blue, white, grey and once in ahwile a healthy black. :sly I put 8 good injectors(not new...cookoo) and all new returns lines, caps and seals. Everything was spotless... Still smokes grey under throttle and blue at an idle, rough idle, like my 350 with the RV2 cam, and shakes under throttle. And i spent money on it:puke:

Whats y'alls opinion? Do i still have bad injectors? should i go new this time? Or is it a head gasket, IP? Something else? This is my work truck, i gotta get this going soon...

Thanks for the help guys

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
crap rings, bad head gasket, shot oil cooler seals???

sounds like you MAY have some water/coolant getting in the cylinders with the white

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have ...????
1. Loss of coolant without a leak?
2. Oil in the coolant?
3. Coolant in the oil?
4. Diesel smell to the white/blue smoke?
5. Sweet smell (coolant) to the white/blue smole?
6. Hydolocking of the engine from time to time?

How old is the IP? When you say "good" injectors, how were they tested as good (not picking on ya, just wanting to know if they leaked and what pop pressure they open at).

Rough idle and white/blue smoke in the absence of other signs of catastrophy is usually fuel related.... Bad, leaking injector or injectors, dying IP, IP timing is off.

Heath

FrozenRedneck

Reaction score
Thats a cross my fingers good... Came out of a running truck, didn't smoke or anything. No coolant or oil loss, and they aren't mixing. I'm gonna adjust the pump and see if that does any good.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Inlet pressue? Yes. Take the core out of the schrader valve on the fuel filter head. Hook up a pressure guage to that valve and crank the engine. It should be 4-6 psi. For volume, you should get 1/3 of a pint minimum with 10 seconds of cranking.

Outlet pressue?? Maybe, never heard of that as a test that is done on an IP on the motor. IIRC, that is a IP test bench measure.

Still.......... I'd bet my money on a leaking injector or two, failing IP, or improper timing.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those were mine... IP counter or clockwise for the smoke and rough idle?

Rotating the IP on the gear housing will adjust the timing. Timing shouldn't make the idle rough. Smoke issues, to an small extent.

Moving it to the passenger's side will advance the timing, to the driver's side will retard the timing. Without proper timing meter...... it's complete guess work. A little movment goes a long way. Be very careful if you are going to adjust the timing.

Heath

starmilt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you done a compression test to see what your working with.
Have you cracked the injector lines to find out which cylinder is causing the rough idle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony