I need help starting one

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 f-350 in the shop. It will not start unless you glow plug it twice or crank the hell out of it. Once started it runs great. I have checked the glow plugs they all ohmed out ok. I had a 4volt drop in the glow plug relay, so I replaced the controller. I replaced the injector return lines and tees they were moist. And replaced the leaking mechanical fuel pump with an electric. Replaced the fuel filter. If it sits for several days it will have a couple of bubles come out of the filter bleed hole when pressed but nothin that should make it this hard to start. Any suggestions. Can a glow plug that still has continuity be contaiminated so it doesn't put off enough heat. :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
No... Not really.. Sounds to me like the injection pump is just about done. How many miles are on it...

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The odo shows 46,000 miles. It was a spray rig now its back to being a pickup. The local seed company owns it. I would guess that its correct given the vehicle history.

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
Does it start okay if you plug in the block heater for a few hours? You say it runs fine once it's going so it may still just be a glow plug problem. If the glow plugs aren't working right even in the slightest it can be tough to start.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have good fuel pressure with no air at the schrader before you hit the starter after it sits for a while?

Sounds like air coming in or an IP that's on it's way out.

suv7734

Reaction score
I have a 93 f-350 in the shop. It will not start unless you glow plug it twice or crank the hell out of it. Once started it runs great. I have checked the glow plugs they all ohmed out ok. I had a 4volt drop in the glow plug relay, so I replaced the controller. I replaced the injector return lines and tees they were moist. And replaced the leaking mechanical fuel pump with an electric. Replaced the fuel filter. If it sits for several days it will have a couple of bubles come out of the filter bleed hole when pressed but nothin that should make it this hard to start. Any suggestions. Can a glow plug that still has continuity be contaiminated so it doesn't put off enough heat. :dunno

How long does the wait to start light remain on? As mentioned, try plugging the block heater in for a couple of hours and see how it starts, that will help to determine if it's still a controller/glow plug issue.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The controller stays on longer than any of my 7.3s that start great.