I know this isn't good...

FrozenRedneck

Reaction score
1991 7.3 Nat Aspirated. Unknown milage, bought it out of a field for 200$ bucks. cookoo
Smoking white and blue, a lot.
Drained the oil today, has metal shavings in it. -cuss

Ideas? Injectors causing smoke? Could it just be old fuel? Timing?

The metal? :dunno

Anybody got a cheap PSD&5 spd combo for sale? ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I would be concerned about the metal shavings.

The injectors could be causing white smoke and blue smoke. How is the idle quality? Been sitting in the field for a long time? How did it start?

FrozenRedneck

Reaction score
Took about 10 min with two dead batt! Idles fine, about 850 RPM.

What would the metal shavings be from?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Metal shavings, I have no idea. But I would be worried about them if I were you. I dont know what to tell you to be honest.

Do an oil change, fuel filter change, ect. Run it for a thousands miles or so and then send the oil in to get an annalysis and see what it says. Thats about all I can think of.

Metal can be from a ton of things. If its not knocking or sounding like it has a spun rod then who knows.

The only real way you can find out is pull the engine and tear it apart.

FrozenRedneck

Reaction score
Thats the plan. I think the mileage is around 250,000, so i'm gonna do fuel filter and diesel kleen additive with fresh fuel and see if it helps the smoke. :dunno

If it blows up, i'm goin for a PSD swap! ;Sweet

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the pan off and see if there are lots of shavings in the bottom or stick a big magnet to the pan so the stop cycling through the motor. In all honesty though it's $200...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sometimes the cam excentric that the lift pump follows will degrade over time is someone installed the pump wrong. They still work but the lobe gets distroyed. Is the metal really fine or are there some large pieces in the magnet.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First determine what kind of metal those shavings are made out of.... ;Really

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the bearings would be lead, tin, copper, steel would be connecting rods or the crankshaft I'm going to guess. For $200, I'd probably change the oil and filter, run it 500-1000 miles, change it again, then run it for 2500-3500 miles and send a sample to Blackstone or another oil analysis lab. I'm going to guess if a rod or bearing had let go it would have a lot of bad noises, maybe low oil pressure, and maybe a bad miss. I guess honestly steel or iron could be just about anything.

FrozenRedneck

Reaction score
All super fine... looks like steel. Truck was a concrete truck and fleet maintained. I'm gonna run her awhile and see what happens ;Sweet

Exekiel69

Reaction score
change oil, install big magnet on the oil pan and make sure You run fresh fuel with lots of 2 stroke oil and ps. Heck if the engine is bad I would not even try to put a psd in it, another IDI for no more than $500 and You could be back on the road in no time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online