I have had all i can take!!! bad smoke please help

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gary (icanfixall) pretty much listed the top 3 things to cause a smoke show. You are going to have to work your way through them. How long does your wait to start light stay on? Short (a few seconds) can indicate bad GPs. If you are that new to these engines, I wouldn't put much faith in trying to time it by ear. I know I personally wouldn't try it but that's just me. Do you still have your old injectors? Might be worth swapping them back in and see what happens. Not an expert but I would think dribbling injectors would cause a lot of smoke that might clear up as you drive.

ammocan

Reaction score
I guess there is one detail that I should mention. Im not even sure the injectors I took out were bad. I only replaced them because of this issue and a few other issues I was working out but this smoke problem existed prior to the injectors being replaced. As it turns out the misfire and lack of power was attributed to the IP and the air intrusion. But like I said I feel pretty confident that this smoke is not the injectors. Again I am new to these trucks so I could be wrong.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say with timing. Timing can play a part at idle and speed. Since it is unknown, it needs to be properly timed, with a meter, or a ferret and an QUALITY advance timing light. This is key.

I had an issue with my 6.0, the FICM (Fuel Injection Control Module) was failing. It was not supplying the proper voltage to, or at the proper time to the injectors to fire them. This caused a great deal of smoke at idle, and just off idle, and it smelled like a kerosene heater that you just shut off....... Had the FICM repaired, smoke is gone, timing is correct. If you are 100% sure you are air free, and the glow plugs are working, then it is highly likely it is timing. My VW IDI does not smoke when cold, it is timed properly and has no air intrusion and the glow plug work correctly. So it all has to be spot on, or you will see issues, one way or another.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess there is one detail that I should mention. Im not even sure the injectors I took out were bad. I only replaced them because of this issue and a few other issues I was working out but this smoke problem existed prior to the injectors being replaced. As it turns out the misfire and lack of power was attributed to the IP and the air intrusion. But like I said I feel pretty confident that this smoke is not the injectors. Again I am new to these trucks so I could be wrong.

It also may mean that your "new" injectors are no better than the used ones you took out given the source.

ammocan

Reaction score
ok so I had a conversation over the phone with industrial injection who built my IP and based on all the information they also believe its out of time but they also said it would be about $200 to time and fine tune it. Im not going to do that. what are good methods to get it "close enough" and is "close enough" going to cut it? Also what is this tool rental program?

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^ yep. And yes, it is worth getting the tools and doing it right. Even the pros will tell you they can be as much as two degrees off when timing "by ear".

My shop charges around $100 to time, FWIW.

There's also a sticky at the top of the main forum page with a list of who-all has timing meters and where they are.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Start with checking GLOW plugs, that is a good place to start.

Then move on to timing as well, then if those don't clear it up, I'd recommend NEW injectors.

Who knows what those remans pop at or what their patterns are.

Good luck with it.

Clayton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like pissy injectors and timing off.

ammocan

Reaction score
Here is an update and co conclusion to the issues. I played with timing till I was satisfied that it was as close as it was going to get without the timing equipment and I had moved the pump about 2 or 3 mm to the passenger side. After playing with the timing the truck ran great in all ranges of the power band but when the truck first started it still smoked more than acceptable but less than before. Last week while cruising down the highway my truck just cut out and left me stranded. I got it to my buddies shop and we found that a wire was corroding and finally broke cutting power to the injection pump. While dealing with this issue it was also discovered that the glow plug relay was bad so I wasnt just dealing with bad glow plugs, I had no glow plugs at all. So in conclusion timing, glow plug relay, and new glow plugs and the problem is gone. Truck runs great so thanks for all your help.

gandalf

Reaction score
Thanks for reporting back with the outcome, results, and conclusions.;Sweet So many people come in with a problem, ask for help, receive good advise, and are never heard from again. Never, that is, until their next problem.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
diesel care peformance....
not only do they have a bad rep in the IDI world,
also in the DIY world
took them 3 trys to send me 8 working injectors for my powerstroke.
and i suspect they are leaking now, after 9 months.
return them if you can!