I have had all i can take!!! bad smoke please help

ammocan

Reaction score
ok so about 2 months ago my I began the necessary tune up of my fuel system by getting my IP rebuild by a reputable injection shop. then I did the injectors a fuel line return kit, fuel filter, lift pump and most recently with the assistance of my trusty mechanic we tracked down an air intrusion coming from the failing water fuel separator. Anyway after warm up it runs great now but on initial start up it smokes like a tire fire only its more along the lines of whitish grey smoke. The frustrating thing is before my IP went bad and began all this work it ran clean as could be with only minor smoke on a cold start but now my whole neighborhood suffers when I start my truck. one other symptom is the idle on a cold start is a little rough but its not terrible. Like I said im extremely frustrated after dropping so much cash and having it worse than before :frustrate. any ideas please help.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Did you time it with a timing meter?
Who did the IP rebuild? And injectors?
Is it hard starting?
Have you replaced glowplugs? Brand?

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

ammocan

Reaction score
industrial injection in salt lake city did the rebuild.
injectors are rebuilds from diesel care on ebay.
not timed with any equipment just set one line width to the passenger side.
easy to start. have not replaced the glow plugs.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could very well be the cause.
We'll see what some others think in the morning.
I would try playing with the timing.

Sent from my SM-T537R4 using Tapatalk

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not timed with any equipment just set one line width to the passenger side.
It's a very good bet that that's your problem. The lines are only meant to get you in the ballpark...so that the engine will run and you can check the pump timing. Ideally, you want the proper equipment...either a pulse adapter or a luminosity probe.

If you can't get that, I've found that it is possible to get the timing "close" by ear. Next time you drive the truck, get up to speed and let off the throttle, letting the truck coast in gear. Then, start applying throttle. You'll hear the engine rattle a bit before the RPM's start to increase. Set the timing so that that rattle is minimized (timing's too advanced), but you're not seeing any white/light gray smoke on acceleration (timing's too retarded). Again, this won't get the timing exactly right, but it'll get the timing close enough that you should be okay. And, if you still have that rattle while getting a bunch of smoke, that could be an issue...as Jasper noted, people have had quality problems with Diesel Care in the past; check the Hall of Shame.

Hope this helps some...good luck! ;Sweet

gandalf

Reaction score
Hall of Shame!! Yep. It's one of the stickies at the top of this very section of the forum. People should read that periodically, just so all of it is in the back of their mind. It's getting harder and harder to find a really good shop.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Sadly you did wrong by using a seller thats listed in the Hall of Shame. Normally any rebuilt injector is not going to work well. Problem is theycan't replace parts in them and sell for less than a new injector. So how is selling them at a loss making a profit. Dieselcare has a very bad rep in the idi world and they gave it to them selves by the less than stellar business practice they use. Now about timing. As already posted, the marks means nothing. They did when the original pump was installed at the factory but not now. Reason is every injection pump is timed differently when its rebuilt. There is no way it can be set the same on every pump. Your smoke sounds like a couple of issues. Wrong timing for sure but mostly its bad injectors and probably a burned out glow plug or two.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thing I would do is check the timing. If you don't have the tools to do so then you can use the rental program here. Also, what have your temps been and does your high idle/advance work?

ammocan

Reaction score
Ok if I have a problem with the injectors I will just chalk that up as a learning experience and eat it but for now all cylinders are firing. As far as timing THE WARDEN recommended a timing method while driving and explained that if I feel a rumble on acceleration its too advance and smoke on acceleration if too retarded but I do not have a smoke problem when the truck is running at operating temperature. The really bad smoke in on initial start up whether its 30deg or 70deg. If I were to base diagnostics on when its running at operating temperature then I would say the truck is healthy but the shear amount of smoke coming from this truck on start up is going to attract the attention of the EPA. Is timing going to effect the amount of smoke im getting on start up at idle? If this is the case is it going to be too retarded? Also just to confirm, passenger side is advance and driver side retard?

Last edited:

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry ammocan but I don't have any advise as I am new to the IDI world...what I can say is my truck does exactly the same thing at cold start up, but as soon as I start driving the smoke is gone. And as long as the engine stays somewhat warm there is no smoke after following start ups. I have wondered if this is normal so I will be staying tuned in.

ammocan

Reaction score
Jayro88 I haven't got the slightest idea if high idle advance works. I have also heard about cold advance but im too new to these trucks. Still learning. Please help me.

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jayro88 I haven't got the slightest idea if high idle advance works. I have also heard about cold advance but im too new to these trucks. Still learning. Please help me.

If you look at your IP there is a plunger with a singlr wire going into it mounted near the throttle. It is placed so that when the plunger extends (when energized) it will hold the throttle slightly open. There is also a wire that goes to the IP itself that advances the timing when energized. There is a sensor that screws into the block right next to the thermostat housing. When the temp is below X* (forgot the temp) it is closed and allows 12v to go to the plunger and to the IP. Once the temp reaches a certain temp it will open and cut the power. The result is that it makes starting easier by advancing the timing when cold and holds the throttle open for a higher idle when cold to aid in warming the engine.

A good way to test it is to see if you are getting 12v to the plunger with the key in the on position while the engine is cold. My sensor failed closed, so I just unplugged it. I still start okay when cold, but blow a little more smoke until warm. You can also wire it to a switch in the cab to manually control it.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull injectors purchase new matched set from Typ4 or Agnem then once installed have yer engine timed correctly by renting a meter from Icanfixall

Or at least have yer injectors pop tested, or try your old injectors for shitzngigglz

Also how are the Glow plugs...if questionable get some Motorcraft / Beru ZD9 only other brands are known to deteriorate and swell quickly...

Sounds like dribbly injector or bad Glow plugs to me...timing will effect this too.

JM2CW