I-beam bushing question

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their I beam bushing on a 4 wheel drive TTB? I was just wondering if you have too pull axle shafts and drop the I beam off the leaf spring? Any input would be helpful I would like to have some clue of what is required to do this job thanks a lot in advanced!

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No need to pull axle shafts. Unbolt front leaf springs, brake lines, and remove center pivot bolt. You can pull the axle out from under the truck and use a press to change the bushings. Takes most of an afternoon. I would change the leaf spring bushings too... I got a 1" lift just by replacing them.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you clock the passenger side u-joints to each other when you put the axle back under the truck or you'll need to replace those "very quickly"

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may wanna set the press aside for this one, and grab the torch instead - burn the rubber bushing off leaving its steel outer shell in place, then stick polyurethane bushing in it (along with the new inner sleeve that comes with it). This is my plan at least, I see no reason to use the inferior rubber bushing...

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may wanna set the press aside for this one, and grab the torch instead - burn the rubber bushing off leaving its steel outer shell in place, then stick polyurethane bushing in it (along with the new inner sleeve that comes with it). This is my plan at least, I see no reason to use the inferior rubber bushing...

You can burn the bushing out with the axle under the truck but my truck leaks like a siv so open flames is bad mojo under there. You can do either way but it takes about the same amount of time and work

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what were sayin is pretty much the whole axle comes out? You can't just pry it out of the way enough to get the bushing out?

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what were sayin is pretty much the whole axle comes out? You can't just pry it out of the way enough to get the bushing out?

It doesn't have to if you burn the bushing out but I wanted to use a press so I just dropped the whole axle out and carried it over to the press. Yes you can pry the axle down but it doesn't go as far as you think it does... Air hammer is your best friend if you do it that way. I tried to do it that way originally but couldn't get the bushing to move so I just dropped the axle out. You really need two people either way... The way the suspension works the leaf spring is in a bind so when you take out that pivot bolt it'll push it right over and you'll never get the bolt back in without help.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can burn the bushing out with the axle under the truck but my truck leaks like a siv so open flames is bad mojo under there. You can do either way but it takes about the same amount of time and work

Just repeatadly drill the bushing out over and over all around the inner steel sleeve, thus chewing it away then it should be removable with socket n C clamp if yer lucky!

Just my thoughts on it....

Al

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Just repeatadly drill the bushing out over and over all around the inner steel sleeve, thus chewing it away then it should be removable with socket n C clamp if yer lucky!

Just my thoughts on it....

Al

Thats how i change most bushings like that (also leaf springs) much easier, cleaner, safer and quicker of u get the hang of it. I opted for an air hammer to remove the outer shell...beware those some bushings reuse that outer shell...

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I was just gonna take the whole thing out with an air chisel so do ya think all I'd need to do is pull the bolt down and pry down the I beam? I do not have anything but a torch and air chisel

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I was just gonna take the whole thing out with an air chisel so do ya think all I'd need to do is pull the bolt down and pry down the I beam? I do not have anything but a torch and air chisel

Pull the wheel off to give it room to articulate up. If working by yourself throw a bottle jack under a nice long pry bar to hold the axle down. You can probably use a come along to pull the axle back into place when you want to put the bolt back in.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, if you take the whole thing out with an air chisel, how are you gonna press a new bushing in? Air chisel won't help you there at all. Just pull the bolt, drop/pry the arm, and light up the rubber bushing with the torch. In the end you're left with the outer shell still pressed inside the beam, but that's exactly what you want. Then grab a set of polyurethane bushings, grease 'em with their provided lube, install poly bushing into old shell, slide new inner sleeve in poly bushing, pop the matching poly ring on the other side, slide the beam back in the bracket, and reinstall the bolt. No presses, no axle removal, none of that mess. And yes you will likely need a long prybar and a come-along or at least a beefy ratchet strap to help you pull the beam back in the bracket. It's not exactly a fun job, but it's not rocket science either.

Also I disagree with the suggestion to use a jack under a prybar - use one or the other, both together can send stuff flying. And watch out for the beam springing down from the bracket when you pull the bolt at first, it may or may not do it, but just in case keep bodily parts away from underneath it. You can pretension it somewhat with the come-along before puling the bolt out, then gradually loosen up the come-along and let the beam assume its desired position.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dumb question, if you take the whole thing out with an air chisel, how are you gonna press a new bushing in? Air chisel won't help you there at all. Just pull the bolt, drop/pry the arm, and light up the rubber bushing with the torch. In the end you're left with the outer shell still pressed inside the beam, but that's exactly what you want. Then grab a set of polyurethane bushings, grease 'em with their provided lube, install poly bushing into old shell, slide new inner sleeve in poly bushing, pop the matching poly ring on the other side, slide the beam back in the bracket, and reinstall the bolt. No presses, no axle removal, none of that mess. And yes you will likely need a long prybar and a come-along or at least a beefy ratchet strap to help you pull the beam back in the bracket. It's not exactly a fun job, but it's not rocket science either.

Also I disagree with the suggestion to use a jack under a prybar - use one or the other, both together can send stuff flying. And watch out for the beam springing down from the bracket when you pull the bolt at first, it may or may not do it, but just in case keep bodily parts away from underneath it. You can pretension it somewhat with the come-along before puling the bolt out, then gradually loosen up the come-along and let the beam assume its desired position.

Well don't use the jack to move the pry bar... I just used it to hold the bar so I had both hands free.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online