Hypothetical inj pump question

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all. Has anybody ever thought of, or installed a Bosch VE (roatary) injection pump on an IDI? I'm pretty sure they make an 8 cyl version. They are great pumps and are very user friendly from an adjustability standpoint. Do they turn the wrong way, have no chance of mating up to the gear, what? Between VWs and Cummins B series engines, there is large aftermarket support so that is a plus. Being rotary it seems like it would be easier to deal with inj line routing and such. I have heard about the bosch inline pumps being used in non-stock apps, but how about the VE for an IDI. Is it feasible? Discuss.
Travis..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The simple fact is there is not a huge market for aftermarket for these engines, they do make simple power, nothing spectacular; however when in good operating condition are super reliable and simple to work on.

There are bigger pumps made be it a Moose pump or a R&D pump, that bolt right on with no need for custom fab work.

If you are thinking of making big power start with one of those and if they are not big enough, then maybe it's worth doing the VE.

IIRC Justin is working on an inline pump setup, and I"m looking for one from a Cat ...happen to know where one is but he's asking too much for my liking.

Well I've said my 2CW

Black dawg

Reaction score
VE would be an awsome pump for an IDI. Much more reliable, and still has advance, and boost referenced fueling.
Not sure about amount of fueling, but I am sure it is more than enough

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^100% the direction I was thinking. I know it would take work to adapt, just curious if anyone had tried it or given it any thought. It would be a great pump for turbo'd trucks if it were feasible.
Travis..

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hypermax does offer the "smoke puff limiter" for our stanadyne DB2 pumps. Smoke puff limiter is their language for fuel aneroid.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Something thats not been said for the available pumps like the one Justin wanted pushing 200 cc of fuel. Without mentioning the name of the person he purchased from. It did not actually pump that much fuel. the supposed builder didn't even make the pump and Justin called around and got a big laugh from the builder. the actual builder told him that pump can't push that much fuel and it left his shop doing 180. Heres the problem. Our drive pins can't handle the pressure of 180 let alone 200 cc of fuel. So the drive bolts shear off with the drive pin. Justin fabbed up a larger drive pin to fix that but it still could not make the hp so he was contacting the supposed builder asking why. Thats when he went calling around the fakers neighborhood and found the real builder. So think about this before you attempt adding a 180 or 200 cc pump to your engine. If I wanted this my first call would be Mel asking questions as to what he has and whats needed to run it Not many trusting business guys around like Mel.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I don't necessarily want one for my truck. I was curious if anyone had tried it or if it were even feasible. It seems like it would be a good match for an IDI, it is very reliable and has some very nice features. Is a DB2 with a smoke puff eliminator in the same league as a Bosch VE, or no? I really have no idea, just thought it would be a good topic for discussion. My thoughts never really go the direction of max power output when talking diesels, I want quality, reliability, good performance, and driveability at a reasonable performance level. There is quite a bit of talk about different pumps being swapped, so I thought a VE might be worth discussing.
Travis..

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I have no idea if the puff limiter is on par with the stock options on a bosch VE, but from what I hear it is adjustable just like the fuel aneroid on top of a bosch VE. I'm planning to install one on my moose pump eventually. I've tinkered a little with a bosch VE clone fitted to a mitsubishi 2.3 turbo diesel (1985 ranger) and it is a nice unit. In terms of reliability, I've actually had slightly more trouble with the VE pump but still only minor stuff. Fuel leak from the throttle shaft being the only real pain. Not having to spill fuel all over the top of the engine to change fuel settings is also nice.

Even still, it is physically larger, and the DB2 is already a tight squeeze on top of the engine. The only engines I know of that run the bosch VE are inline, where there is plenty of room on the side to mount the larger injector pump assembly.