Hypermax Cowl Induction

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
Anyone have any pics of this setup and how it's installed ?

What kind of issues are there with snow and rain getting in the intake ?

For those who have this system, what are your opinions on performance ?

Thanks in advance.

agp23109

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't have any pictures right now but it took less than 30 min for the install with the right tools. My EGT's dropped 150 degrees while towing a combined weight of 15,000 between my truck and trailer. I was able to turn my pump up a flat and get a little more power.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like mine, mounting the horn on the firewall was challenging, but worth it. Zero water issues so far and have been running it for several months now through our wet season.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When I first installed mine I pulled into the lot at teh farm store and popped the hood to check the pyrometer wire to see if it was still hooked up because the egts were reading so low LOL . It drops the temps about 300-350 deg f or more across the board, just as advertised.

Never a drop of water intrusion, even after the worst possible rain imaginable. For heavy snow you are supposed to disconnect the thing to prevent a restriction, but that takes a grand total of 10 seconds:rolleyes:
With the cross country trip I just took dragging the 5er, I'm dang glad I had that thing on there, or I would have been down in second and first in a number of places. THose extra few deg make a difference ;Sweet

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't Sycostang make some comparisons between that and the factory setup? And it turned out this is not much better than factory setup, but I don't recall what temperatures he was measuring...

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good stuff guys.
you motivated me to finally doing this.
i just cut a hole,and used dryer ducting from home depot.
the difference with my N/A and custom 3.5" exhaust w/ "true" Y pipe and free flow muffler is incredible.
i just went on a 3hr round trip today,and i can tell you my IDI loves me!
right off the line iv got more grunt/throttle response.
goes down the road without so much pressure applied to the skinny.
my god,i shouldn't have put this off.
do it guys!!

im currently at the 1/2 way mark on my tank.i normally see 200 miles here (sometimes less,and i know then,im gunna be under my average per tank)
im at 240 miles at 1/2 tank.and i already drove quite a bit on this tank w/stock intake!

my custom exhaust i had built a few months back wasn't getting the full use without letting the 'ol girl breath in first.
cowl induction is more than i expected.
can't wait to put a load on her,and see what she says.

Last edited:

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
cowl induction.
cut a hole above the brake booster and installed some temp ducting.

when asked "are you worried about water getting in?" with ducting here,it's VERY clear to see why everyone says no.
the cowl is very deep.well below where you cut a hole.not much to worry about.
this is with the 9th gens anyway.

this is a high pressure area.so it's not just about flow.high pressure is the key.

i'll be swapping back to stock for the winter/snow season.then back to cowl induction once the snow is over with again.

i wish i had a pyro.im very sure i could turn her fuel up some now.
(i didn't get anything but blue sky behind me, with her to the floor loaded up, with stock exhaust and intake lol.)

i should add,
she sounds different @2500+ rpms.much more throaty.you can hear her inhale.:)

Last edited:

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I haven't had a single problem with rain or snow either. I noticed about 150* EGT drop right away as well. I did do the temp test between intakes, and while at speed the intake temps were similar between the OEM and hypermax, at the idle the factory tube sucks up heat like a sponge. I also got a lot more smoke on take off with the OEM tube. I wish I had a way to measure the airflow as well as the temperature.

Diesel Max

93 F-250 4X4 - 7.3
Reaction score
I haven't had a single problem with rain or snow either. I noticed about 150* EGT drop right away as well. I did do the temp test between intakes, and while at speed the intake temps were similar between the OEM and hypermax, at the idle the factory tube sucks up heat like a sponge. I also got a lot more smoke on take off with the OEM tube. I wish I had a way to measure the airflow as well as the temperature.

Sycostang, you have a similar bug deflector as I do. Do you think there are any problems with the bug deflector keeping air away from the cowl vent ?? I was a little worried that the bug deflector might keep some free flowing air away from the cowl and intake.

My bug deflector has rubbed the paint off my hood underneath the plastic in some places and if I loose the deflector, I would have to re-paint my hood which I'm not inclined to do because the paint is still in decent condition.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I had the bug deflector before the intake and still noticed an improvement. It's possible it may have some negative effect, but it still works well enough for me to not bother removing the deflector.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I was going to get a new bug deflector, but you guys have me thinking now.
My old one fell apart before I put the cowl induction on so I have no idea if it makes any difference. I bet if someone called Hypermax they would know

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I'm probably going to order an intake sometime this week and I'll ask about the bug deflector. I'm pretty excited to see what it will do for my truck. Hopefully I'll be able to hear the turbo a little better because right now the ol' girl sounds like its naturally aspirated :dunno I wouldn't mind the puff eliminator too, but I don't have the cash! :( LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel